klipsch vs cerwin vega

goran1438

What's the price difference between the two for you?

The cerwin vega specs out insanely nice and I know they're a good company. I must point out that I have not heard either product in question. Both are 102dB sensitivity, the CV has about 20 more square inches of surface area on the woofer section which means either less distortion or lower extension. Seems they went for lower extension with the 26Hz versus 32Hz (assuming all things equal which may not be the case). The CV is a 3 way design versus the 2 way design of the RF-7...a lot of the junkies here on the forum swear by 3 way designs. The RF-7 is however taller and heavier.

In the end, I think you have to choose between horn loaded or direct radiator for the highs and some of the mids.

To be totally honest, I think I would lean towards the CV if they were both about the same price (which I believe they must be if you're presenting them as your two options).

The CV is a bit short at 95cm and I can see myself getting a small stand for it (like a cement tile or two). I had no idea CV made home audio stuff and now I'm very interested in them. They are known for making very solid products in the pro audio scene.

I've heard a lot of Cerwin Vegas. My brother also owned a pair of D-9's (I think, well it was the one with the 15" woofers). The Cerwin Vegas I've heard tend to be weak in the midrange reproduction, which is where Klipsch usually shines. Cerwin Vegas tend to have a lot of bass output, but to me the bass leans towards boominess (not even near as tight as the Klipsch Cornwalls, which is also a bass reflex 15"). I actually like the high frequency reproduction of many Cerwin Vegas I've heard.

I like Cerwin Vegas just fine, but they sound like a teenager's rock and roll speaker to my ears. BUT, even with some of their shortcomings, they still sound better than many other speakers out there.

Expect a tighter, more dynamic, more refined, more midrange foward sound from Klipsch. Klipsch and Cerwin Vega sound completely different, but they both will crank.

This is my opinion and my honest opinion from someone who LIKES the Klipsch sound. Let your own ears be the judge.

Best regards,

Andy

----------------

On 12/27/2004 7:07:41 PM goran1438 wrote:

what is the differnes in sound between a cv 12" 300watt and klipsch rf 35...

and between cv 2 x15" an klipsch rf 7???

What should I choose??

greetings from Norway

----------------

Welcome. What an easy question with a difficult answer. I like CV's. They're great party speakers. I like Klipsch MUCH better. More refined, easier to listen to for the sort of music I like. The RF-7 is in a totally different league to any CV competitor.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 10:11:06 PM edwinr wrote:

----------------

On 12/27/2004 7:07:41 PM goran1438 wrote:

what is the differnes in sound between a cv 12" 300watt and klipsch rf 35...

and between cv 2 x15" an klipsch rf 7???

What should I choose??

greetings from Norway

----------------

Welcome. What an easy question with a difficult answer. I like CV's. They're great party speakers. I like Klipsch MUCH better. More refined, easier to listen to for the sort of music I like. The RF-7 is in a totally different league to any CV competitor.

----------------

Welcome To The Forum>

EdwinR is clear in his answer. The Cerwins are nice speakers, but they changed Driver suppliers quite a bit.

Cerwins also leaned to the pro industry at the expense of the home audio.

dodger

The new CV line with it's horn-loaded mids and tweets looks VERY interesting, at least to an objective horny. Some fellas are reporting very good results with them with a simple crossover mod that shelves the mids and highs a bit; evidently they may be voiced a little on the brash side. That's what some folks think anyway. I haven't heard them but they are certainly interesting.

Generally I'll take my mids from a horn rather than a DR cone anyday. Usually.

I've always kinda thought of C-V's as party speakers, too. Something geared towards testosterone-oozing teens and twenty-year-olds who need something cheap and rugged that will really belt out the mating call of the wild! I think they are more comparable to Synergy than Reference, but still less refined and accurate.

The new up an coming Klipsch top-of-the-line product is going to a horn loaded cone midrange like the CV.

The CV is a little less efficent so it goes a little lower in the bass.

The original CV design of this speaker was more neutral. The decision was made to change the tonal balance to make it more like the CV 'house' sound. If you call CV the designer can give you the changes to make it the same as his original design.

I bought my son a pair of used LS-12's for Christmas. We coupled them with a '75ish JVC integrated amp that I had bought when I was a teenager. I believe it has about 60 watts and performs like a high current amp. The difference in sound that the Klipsch products produce and the CV products is as different as my and my sons taste in music. I bought the CV's because of their sound. Clear midrange and highs and slightly overemphasized bass. They are not one note bass speakers like some car subs are but the bass is not as tight as any of the Klipsch products that I have owned. I believe that they are purpose built for a different demographic (younger possibly) than Klipsch. Louder price, less expensive etc. My son thinks they are the bomb. He lit up like the Christmas tree when he saw them. I don't think I would have gotten the same reaction with a pair of RF-35's. Carl