shipping speakers...

DrWho

To keep things short and sweet, I have come by a pair of Chorus II speakers in Florida (the ones oneleggedbob offered up). My Great Uncle has them in his garage at the moment until I can figure out a good way to get them to Chicago.

I am thinking about shipping them but I am afraid of damage and I don't want to spend a ton of money either. I have thought about driving down there to pick them up, but 48 hours round trip is a bit hard to do in a weekend and would also cost me quite a bit in gas. I might end up going down there for spring break to visit, but that's a long ways away and I can't wait to A/B them with my Marantz 940's.

Anyways, I know a lot of the guys on this forum have shipped their big heritage speakers around and I was hoping I might recieve some advice from those more experienced. I haven't the first clue where to begin...I think I'll ask my uncle to put a stamp on them and cram them in the mailbox for the mailman to take. 2.gif

For your Uncle to ship them, he'd have to be willing to spend the day packing them and hauling them off to FedEx (if they are not too big), or a shipping company (like Forward Air). He could otherwise take them to a crating company. Either way, they should be packed correctly, with a minimum of 2" padding (I use styrofoam sheets) all around (figure that in sizing for shipping), and a sturdy box for each. If going the Forward Air route, it's handy (I'd say essential) to put them on a pallet very securely. As I said, preparing large items for shipping takes a lot of effort, but you've got to do it right. It helps if you imagine the boxes falling out of the back of a delivery truck, and cushion the load accordingly.

----------------

On 12/31/2004 8:15:14 AM fini wrote:

Either way, they should be packed correctly, with a
minimum
of 2" padding (I use styrofoam sheets) all around (figure that in sizing for shipping), and a sturdy box for each.

----------------

i agree with fini as long as you have 2 inches all around, that includes top and bottom with no movement inside them you should be fine. fed-ex just delivered my cornwalls. good luck

I still believe that the best way to transport these Heritage speakers (without damage) is to go down there and get them. Take a few days off, fly down on a cheapo airline ticket, rent a minivan from a car company that lets you do one-ways, and drive them back. You'll get to spend some time with your uncle and have a fun road trip.

If you can't possibly consider doing that, Forward Air is the next best route. These things are so big and heavy that they need to be palletized to keep them stable. It will cost you a bunch of bucks but not as many as you'd think.

Edit: Maybe ole John White is in the mood for another roadtrip to the north ... Bet he could be talked into it for 3.gif

The only problem with flying down and renting a car is that I'm only 20 and nobody will let me rent or drive. We've tried this a few times at my previous job and it never worked (even with older ppl renting the car I wasn't allowed to drop it off) 7.gif Perhaps I could get my uncle to rent the car and then have my dad return it when I get back, but that's a bit shady...great idea though.

After some research, it seems the cheapest route so far will be with FedEx costing me $100 to get them shipped to my dad's workplace plus whatever it costs to package them. I can just get the package to not be considered oversized so I can ship normal FedEx ground 1.gif

Get one of those tape measures that reads wrong and send it to your uncle. Is he good at lying?1.gif

I sent a load of about 60 LPs to MaxG (Athens, Greece), and the folks at the Post Office measured the package for, like, 20 minutes. According to their measurenents, it was 1" over (girth + length) the 79" threshold. They took it anyway, but kinda gave me the stank eye. Happy Holidays!

the one thing i found out and really made my mind up not to get these chorus II'S and have them shipped was fedex or ups would not insure these unless they were in the factory boxes or packeged by them(which i would have had to take out a loan for)and i know speakers this size would need to be packed extra carefull and the person packing them would have to share our love for klipsch speakers..i just did not want to take the chance of haveing 2 klipsch speakers turn in to many pieces of klipsch speakers...glad to see you were able to get these at the same price i won them for i was a little worried that the seller might back out knowing he could have gotten a lot more for them...congrats...

oneleggedbob

2.gif

I've shipped lots of large speakers, and the only trouble I had was with a factory boxed unit.

fini is right, after wrapping them in lightweight plastic, or plastic garbage bags, use 2" foam insulation board from a lumber yard. Not the white, lightweight stuff, but the blue construction grade foam.

I make my own cardboard boxes from flat carboard that I get for free from furniture and appliance dealers. I have a small cardboard box that I have unfolded and flattened out to use as a template. I just figure my dimensions carefully and build a box just the same as my small template. I use contact cement to join the edges together where they overlap. If it's a very large box, I'll cement them together in two places, but you have to figure and cut everything very accurately to get it to come together tightly.

I'd also recommend a piece of 1/2" thick plywood in the bottom of the box before you place the 2" foam board in.

So, wrap in plastic, make the boxes, put plywood in the bottom, 2" foam in the bottom, 2" foam inside on all 4 sides, slide the speaker down in (hopefully with a nice tight fit), 2" of foam on top, insure them for top dollar, and you're all set.

Greg

I've had fortes shipped and the risers were damaged. Be sure to pad all sides really well.

A pretty good idea would be to use 2" styrofoam all around duct taped together to keep things in shape and attached. Then surround with cardboard for a normal looking package with labels, etc.

Good luck and Happy New Year!10.gif