Khorns,some years better than others ??

drawtheline77

All Klipschorns regardless of year sound more similar to each other than different. I think you'll generally find people to be biased toward the year they have. That's why I think the 1976 model is the best. 1.gif

I am intrigued about the sound of the wooden/resin horns of the 1950s models; haven't heard them.

"That's why I think the 1976 model is the best. "

Yeah, and what do you know? Ever hear '77s? I thought not!!9.gif9.gif9.gif

Ben,

It's all good!!

Rumor is that the new vintage with the AK-4 system is the best ever. We with older X-overs and drivers can upgrade for just under two thousand. Which networks are in your '94s AK-2 or AK-3?

Rick

I like the old wood /glass (pre 62)mid horn better than the later horns. I find the early low watt bass drivers react quicker then the later drivers. I think its not the magnet used but the lighter paper.

My favorite crossover is the ones on the 51 khorn with the big pcb filled caps.

This is a quate that for me prety much sums up why i like the old caps...

"the oil filled units exhibit a velvety black background, rendering the transient response and harmonic integrity far more musically accurate. The lower treble harshness is eliminated, and the upper frequency harmonic structure becomes sweet and airy. The treble integrates imperceptibly with the midrange harmonic structure instead of standing out as a separate entity"

These caps that 51 kilpsch used are the rare Western Electric caps.Many fell WE were never surpassed.

Im sure somm of the late klipsch crossover may Need new caps as they are built like the We caps

Dylan---And the Alnico drivers are better why?

You know, it ain't like that Atlas bullhorn driver and T-35 were refined, high performence drivers. I've had a fair bit of experience comparing Alnico to ferrite with good drivers, Altecs and JBLs, and I'm damned if I could tell a difference I'd put down to magnet material. And I've never heard a better 1" compression driver than the ferrite magneted Radian 475.

That's what I think anyhow, my opinion and experience ya understand.

You know, it ain't like that Atlas bullhorn driver and T-35 were refined, high performence drivers.

Maybe so Tom, but good things happen with average drivers when there's good integration and balance.

'58, how about I send you a nice set of networks to use while you send yours to Bob Crites for testing. Unless of course you have your own LCR meter, and then you could test those caps yourself. I don't care if they were reverse engineered from alien technology -- they're 50 years old. Hey, and quit trying to scare me with that audiophile talk.1.gif