ANYBODY FAMILIAR WITH THIS TURNTABLE

RAPTORMAN

Happy New Year To All!!!

Is there anybody familiar with this TT???

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5741546630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

It's around the corner from where I am--so if it's worth having, I'm thinking of scoring it. Any opinions would be grately appreiated1.gif . I currently have a Thorens 145 MK II. Not a bad table, but I'm thinking of going up the ladder a little bit.1.gif

How could anything that looks that bloody cool be bad? Damm that looks nice. Looks to be solid. Have you done a search of completed auctions to see what others have sold for on ebay also you could google it.

No I haven't yet I just run into it just now--and besides I always "VALUE" my fellow "Klipchers's opinions more than what I see on the net.

9.gif2.gif1.gif

There are lots of nice tables in that price range so be careful and do some homework. A table doesn't need to look fancy to play well. Actually, some of the best tables I've heard look pretty plain.

I'm not familiar with this model but it does look cool!10.gif I also know the company has a good reputation. I'd research it pretty thoroughly before spending that kind of cash.

Good luck!

I like my JA Michel table.

The one you are looking at is older I think(?) than 10-12 years.

I am not familiar wi the arm although SME is supposed to be very nice as a company.

It would maybe be a fair price if it had a $ 400 dollar cartirdge on it.

For that monney you can get a brand new MMF-7 with cart which I know is very nice.

Unless that arm is really something special I would only go about $ 800; just a guess.

I paid $ 650 delivered from Toronto to Detroit with Mission Mechanic arm and Grado Signature 8 cart with extra belt.

The Mision arm is straight and pretty well reviewed years ago. I am not a fan of the S arms if you are spending over $ 1000 for a TT; but it is more of a mental block than based in any fact.

I thought it looked cool and I knew no one that had one so there is a bit of myustery to it.

I think the polymer platter on the MMF-7 is quieter; I am going to add some constrained layer damping to the underside of my Michel Focus one of these days.

post-3864-13819260151138_thumb.jpg

That's a decent price based on the Audiogon Bluebook. Gyro Dec was introduced in 1982 and is worth an average of $1190 without an arm. They base there values on recent(last 4 years) online sales. Looks like it takes up a lot of shelf space but if you can go see it in person then by all means check it out.

20+ years old though so could take some tweaking?

Over here Gyro TTs have quite a good reputation. I think the German distributor offers various platters (with some weights underneath) for such a TT (could be a different model, though).

Personally I rate SME arms quite highly. I recall that installing my own 3012R improved the TT's performance quite a bit. I have no experience with the 3010R, but if the combo is in good condition I wouldn't rule it out.

Wolfram