Tissue Paper Phenomenon/Modification

Klipschguy

You guy's are full of it. I own Heresy's and don't have a single hole in my forehead ! Tom you wouldn't know descent sound if you had my ears. Dynaco 400 on a pair a Lascalas proves that ! Talk about driving nails in your forehead6.gif Just proves your just full of hot air and yes I have heard a Dynaco 400 on Lascalas for about 15 minutes and that was all it took to realize you have no clue what sounds good right or proper.

Craig

----------------

On 1/5/2005 11:41:40 AM Klipschguy wrote:

NosValves,

TBrennan is right about those T35's in his Heresys. I actually got rid of my Heresys for the same reason. And yes, I did try them with tubes - an immaculately restored Fisher 500C. The Heresys still "drilled holes" with the Fisher (and everything else). Funny, I actually thought about putting a little damping in front of my tweeters to.

The Heresy tweeter needs a little attenuation IMHO. But if they float your boat, please don't take offense. Everyone has a sound they are looking for - so choose carefully and punt when necessary.

Andy
----------------

I don't take effense until someone is offensive. If you look up offensive in your webster Tom's smiling face will be glaring at you !

Craig

The Yahmaha ns10 is in more studios than any other Moniter ever made. Its not that they sound great or one even like there sound but when mixing on them the mix transfer nicly to other speakers. If you can make it sound great on ns10 it will sound good anywere.

The paper over the tweetes was is still used by alot of enginers to tame the high end. I think it was only a problem on the early ns10's.

I still mix alot of stuff on ns10 as do many many others.

My studio moniters are.

Altec Big red, Altec 604c, klipschorns,yamaha ns10 with out kleanex,Adam sa-1, cheap computer speaker no name.

"The problem with T-35s is that they are a 104Db/W tweeter in a 97Db/W speaker. Nothing that a little $5 L-pad can't tame."

One would think it was Klipsch's job to integrate the drivers, not mine.

The T-35 has rough response and narrow directivity. In the room and situation I was recently using them in they (Heresys) sounded bad. They sound better in the dining room though.

"Do your Altecs have adjustable L-pads Tom?"

Yup

Guest Anonymous

i once had the pleasure to talk to a guy from sony music studio's, his job was to take the recorded material from the artist and do the rough process of putting all the music together and basic editing, he told me something very interesting though, do you guys remember that the speakers that best buy used to sell about 2 years a go, those ligh silver ones that were really cheap and just garbage, he said that sony music studio used thoe exact speakers (the book shelf speakers) to test the final recording on to see what it would sound like in the average consumers home, they were hooked up to a $150 sony stereo reciever and a $99 cd player, so when you ask why not use good product i think it may because of that same idea that the average consumer doesn't have good stuff.

.. just a thought and that was a few years back so it may be different now

Did you guys read the author's conclusion to his experiment? He conducted the same tests with the tissue over the microphone and determined that "the tissue creates the one thing that studio designers around the world try to avoid, fearing it most in their control rooms: Comb Filtering. The paper filters are not absorbing the high frequencies, but simply reflecting them back into the tweeter, thereby causing cancellation through comb filtering." The great thing about comb filtering is that the measured effects are decieving because the jagged frequency responses get smoothed out.

The use of crappy speakers in the studio is one of a few very common techniques to determine how well the mix will translate. In fact, the majority of the time in the studio and even moreso during the mixdown stages is spent making sure any changes will sound good on every system. The majority of listeners listen on crappy systems and since crappy systems are cheap, then it's a very wise decision to always double check with crappy speakers. Another technique would be to listen from the hallway just outside the studio door. If something sounds out of place, then it's going to stick out even more outside of the room.

Guest Anonymous

i did read about the comb filtering that it does, but i think that the cheap cross overs and horridness of those speakers would have missing gaps anyways, but who knows

----------------

On 1/10/2005 7:30:16 PM Gramas701 wrote:

i did read about the comb filtering that it does, but i think that the cheap cross overs and horridness of those speakers would have missing gaps anyways, but who knows

----------------

There is a comb filtering result. However, this can be accomplished by use of eq when you know the end result.

In many studios anywhere form 3 - 6 pair of speakers plus headphones are used.

The quality of the speakers vary during the stage of recording and stages of mixdown. A quality studio will have quality speakers, among others, for listening to the final mix.

The point of going into the hallway was used years ago by RCA and Atlantic in some of their studios to create a home effect. A number of people have a system in one room and also do chores in another.

Before the quality soundproofing and systems in vehicles today, it was also beneficial to aid in what the final mix would sound like on the radios of '60s, '70s auto radios.

A portion of this test can be skewed as most microphones have either internal or external foam pop filters, whereas the speaker does not.

But as Dr, Who notes, at least one pair of speakers are of the type found in low quality stereo systems. In the best of the studios you can even find a pair of auto speakers.

NS-10s found their way into some studios as a result of donation, i.e. free. Paradigm reference and Paradigm Studio alng with either of the Lansings can also be found among a host of others.

We have a beautiful state of the art studio here in one of our studios. In one form or another, you will have heard some of their results. GM, LPGA, Wegman's all use them via their owner, Ferdinand Jay, who also does the voice-overs.

dodger