Can someone recommend a DVD player?

larrymaher

Hello, and thanks for replying.

I have a Denon AVR-3805 Receiver and need a new DVD player. My 3 yr old Toshiba SLD-3750 flashes "DISK ERROR" and I tried to fix it without luck. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Therefore, can someone recomend a new DVD player. I guess i should get a Denon DVD? I like the thought of a 5 disc progressive player as i like to put 5 concert dvd's in and switch between them?

budget 200-300? thanks!

BTW, i run Klipsch RF3 - ii's and RC-35 center, and Sunfire Signature sub.

Samsung has a HI DEF CONVERSION DVD players that you may want to look at and is within your budget. Specs looks great but has no DVD carousel that you are looking for.

Planning to get one when the wife says "YES" - hehe.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_subtype.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0915307834.1104932194@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddhlkhhlfcfejceefdfggdhgk.0&eUser=&prod_path=%2fAudio+and+Video%2fDVD+Player%2fHi-Def+Conversion+DVD+Players

I also agree on the Sony. I recently purchased the Samsung 841 with DVI, SACD, DVD audio play back. I was drawn to it's good looks and the fact that it played SACD/DVDA discs and that it had built in DD/DTS decoders.Well after I hooked it up I found that it didn't have a DTS decoder as I was let to believe. SACD's and DVD's sounded very good though and picture through it's component output was very good also. But being a huge DTS fan and wanting a player with built in DTS decoding for my bedroom, I took it back the next day and exchanged it for the Sony single disc DVD/SACD player for $129. It has a better picture than the Sammy through it's component output, sounds a little better to my ears with SACD's ,and does have built in DD/DTS decoders. I am in love with this player! In fact I like it better than the Pioneer Elite DV - 45A I used to have. Better picture and sounds just as good in my opinion! So I wholeheartedly reccomend the Sony 5 disc DVD/SACD changer for $149.

You really haven't told us enough to make the perfect recommendation. What are you using to display your DVDs on? Obviously, the demands of a DLP Projector onto a 136" screen are quite different that say on a 32" CRT.

Can your display do HD at 720p or 1080i? Do you plan to upgrade? If so, I would choose one of the newer units with a digital video connection (DVI or HDMI), and upscaling. There is a new kid on the block, the Oppo HD971 ( currently $200+ shipping) that I just received yesterday, and let me say that on my 65" Mitsubishi HD CRT rear projector thaqt the picture is absolutely marvelous. Easily 300% better than the Samsung HD841 it replaced. I believe someone mentioned that Samsung earlier. The build quality is better than one would expect at it's price point, and it has a remote with buttons that glows in the dark.

I could go into a lot of technical gobbeldyguk if you want...PM me.

Jerry Rappaport

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP FELLAS!

BTW, I am using a Mitsubishi WS-55819,rear projection CRT set about 3 years old, that i am very happy with. I paid 2500 for it back then, it still looks great for 1080i broadcasts, and Last night i hooked up my upstairs TOshiba SD-3950 DVD player to the 55" and it looked pretty good. I am wondering if simply buying another $49 dollar SD-3950 would suffice. My set does not have DVI/HDMI inputs!

I may consider a DVD recorder in the near future to copy all my family home videos from VHS to DVD soon. ( i have about 30 VHS tapes filled up right now.) anyone ever do this?

thanks again for the help!

Larry

----------------

On 1/6/2005 9:26:31 PM tmilam wrote:

I've googled this Oppo HD971--can't find anything. Tried the extremephoto.com site--there's nothing there about "Oppo." Where did you hear about this player, and how can we learn more about it?

----------------

Try here, my mistake it's extremephono, not extremephoto!

http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm

JR

Sure hope I made the right choice because I just recieved a new last years model Denon #2900 they were selling out. The picture is much more detailed and lot's more colorful! My tv is a regular old 27" Sony. It also looks good with the other 2 pieces of Denon sitting there. The guy's before me are giving good advice as I am not real smart when it comes to all this fancy talk.