Brands You Hate and Brands You Love

Guest Anonymous

Tom - Very nice. I have a black resin Aurora Ipsilon that I enjoy very much. I have never used a Conklin, but I like their looks.

For day to day use I haven't found anything that tops my Pelikan. I used to use a Mount Blanc, but it didn't have the ability to consistently start writing on the first stroke. I think it has something to do with the Pelikan not accepting cartridges, but I really have no idea.

----------------

On 1/6/2005 1:46:41 PM Griffinator wrote:

Funny - I wasn't aware of a brand name called "US Armed Forces" - what do they make, anyway?
9.gif

----------------

Dead terrorists! And I think they are having a sale too!9.gif

Yeah the US Military is high on my like list too!!

"I used to love Apples and Macs.....  Not to mention there really isn't much software out there for Macs anymore.  "

There is more software available for Macs than ever before. With the switch to a *nix based OS, all of the free software available for *bsd and Linux is generally easily available.

Apple

Klipsch

Volkswagen (really air-cooled vws, but some of the new stuff is ok)

Heckler & Koch

Benchmade

I personally try not to subscribe to any kind of brand loyalty as I feel it's the worst criteria when making any kind of selection. However, I am part of the newer generation who would also rather purchase one song instead of an entire album; who also doesn't care who the artist is as long as the song is good. If the product performs the job it was intended for and does it reliably then I could care less what name brand is on it. There are a lot of brands that I don't care for, but I would have no problem purchasing something from them if they came out with a quality product.

For example, I hate most all the music from Tenacious D, but I like their song "Tribute." I also dislike most all the cars from Chevy, but I am a huge fan of the Monte Carlo and the 305 motor that Chevy builds. I love every Klipsch speaker I've heard and I like the research behind their designs, but I wouldn't limit myself to the Klipsch brand name when shopping for speakers.

It is a personal pet peeve of mine when people purchase stuff because of the brand name or more importantly, the image associated with that item. A perfect example would be Bose and Mustangs. Just because there are fast Mustangs out there people feel cool bragging about having a V6 Mustang GT (and spending a crap load of money too). "I just spent a lot of money and on a Bose speaker, I must be rich and more refined than you." People are bit like that with Klipsch too, but I won't go there lest y'all rip me apart 2.gif (I'm not saying it's bad to have pride in a product, but there is a line when you start relying on the status of the speaker to elevate yourself).

Sorry for ranting, but I can't tell you how frustrated I've become as I've been quickly learning how status oriented the entire music industry is. It's almost as if the majority of the industry is extremely insecure and everyone is trying to find security with some pre-established mystical status that supposedly comes with big names or spending extra money. For example, if I bragged about owning a pair of khorns with some amazing upstream equipment, then y'all would be talking about how good it must sound and all that...After hearing the nice remarks, I wouldn't dare point out that I'm listening to the setup in my Geo Metro and I would go further and point out that it's the best sound I've ever heard too. Extreme case but I think it gets the point across...

Sorry again for ranting and I hope this doesn't push the thread in an odd direction. I know my viewpoint is a bit extreme and that there is nothing wrong with pointing out that company A tends to have a good product with great bang for the buck and company B tends to be a waste of money. It seems like this was more the real intent of the thread. Perhaps as I get older I'll learn to be more eloquent 2.gif

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...