Do Horns Wear Out?

Mikie

The Altec and JBL diaphragms with the rolled aluminum surrounds sometimes fail when the surrounds crack, this has happened to some I've owned. This can happen from age and use (metal fatique) or from overdriving. But I don't want to give the impression that simply because an aluminum diaphragm is old it's due to fail. Some do but most don't.

This was the reason JBL went from aluminum to titanium; titanium is more reliable under high stress, it certainly doesn't sound better. And Altec made diaphragms with mylar surrounds available for high-stress use though most Altec fans prefer the aluminum surrounds for sound quality.

I'd be leery of replacing aluminum diaphragms with titanium, for hi-fi use anyway. And figure that any Alnico magneted driver with a blown driver, damaged by too much power, will have a weakened magnet and need remagnetization as well as rediaphragming.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 1:06:04 AM TBrennan wrote:

And figure that any Alnico magneted driver with a blown driver, damaged by too much power, will have a weakened magnet and need remagnetization as well as rediaphragming.

----------------

Where can Alnico magnets can be rezapped by someone who knows what he's doing?

And what's the cost?

Not sure about Klipsch, but if your talking about Altec speakers, the guys at Great Plains Audio "hands down"!! A few years back when Altec Lansing was bought out a handful of Engineers and Techs split off and opend GPA. When you send a speaker or driver their way, it comes back to you spec-ed out to factory new specs. Prices are very fair as well. What can I say about their customer service, they did not have a dime of mine "yet" and spent hours on the phone troubleshooting a Model 19 woofer with me. At their cost!!

No relation, just a happy cust.

Goodluck......

Guest Anonymous

you can't replace mission drivers btw, old ones at least from the 80's because the comapny that made them went bk and diaphrams are pretty cheap, or you can have the whole thing rebuilt by madisound.com either way the older the speaker gets the more expensive parts become in general