What is your favoite Digital coaxial cable?

Audio Flynn

AQ is over rated IMO. All that is required is a true 75 ohm shielded coax with good conectors. Personally, I prefer IEEE 1394 with rate control.9.gif Quality DAC's that eliminate jitter by reclocking the signal are more important than the digital coax used to get the siganl there.

Bill

----------------

On 1/9/2005 1:21:46 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

AQ is over rated IMO. All that is required is a true 75 ohm shielded coax with good conectors. Personally, I prefer IEEE 1394 with rate control.
9.gif
Quality DAC's that eliminate jitter by reclocking the signal are more important than the digital coax used to get the siganl there.

Bill
----------------

Well, if you visit AQ's site, you will realize they sell their 75ohm composite video cables as their entry digital coax cables! They start at ~$25 (VDM-A) for a 2 meter one - not that bad.

I have a dual shielded true 75-ohm DIY cable. Cost me less than a dollar per foot plus connectors and techflex. Works perfectly fine. I think you have to realize that digital transmission is very close to all-or-nothing. If the signal is degraded enough to make a difference in sound, it's been compomised enough for the link to cease altogether.

----------------

On 1/9/2005 1:31:03 AM meuge wrote:

I have a dual shielded true 75-ohm DIY cable. Cost me less than a dollar per foot plus connectors and techflex. Works perfectly fine. I think you have to realize that digital transmission is very close to all-or-nothing. If the signal is degraded enough to make a difference in sound, it's been compomised enough for the link to cease altogether.
----------------

I agree, but there ARE other factors:

-Build quality

-Looks

-Pride

-Preceived improvement

----------------

On 1/9/2005 9:47:59 AM Griffinator wrote:

No point in arguing with him, Ken. He'll stomp his feet and yell all day that no one needs anything but RF coax for all their RCA-tipped connection cables.
----------------

The digital coax cable that connests my computer to my receiver cost me $4.50. Need I say more?

I am talking about why some people, including ones who know they don't need a more expensive cable, would buy it. Audio jewelery.

I also use 12 AWG speaker wire from the Depot, Home Depot, terminated with AR banana plugs that cost me $1 for 4 connectors.

I do not use any Monster products in my system and I bought the AQ sub cable for a few other reasons.

Get the idea where I am coming from with cables?

----------------

On 1/9/2005 11:09:41 AM kenratboy wrote:

The digital coax cable that connests my computer to my receiver cost me $4.50. Need I say more?

I am talking about why some people, including ones who know they don't need a more expensive cable, would buy it. Audio jewelery.

I also use 12 AWG speaker wire from the Depot, Home Depot, terminated with AR banana plugs that cost me $1 for 4 connectors.

I do not use any Monster products in my system and I bought the AQ sub cable for a few other reasons.

Get the idea where I am coming from with cables?

----------------

I hear ya. I'm not that far off of your thinking, either. However, we're talking about a guy who absolutely insists that solid-center-conductor 75Ohm coax is perfectly acceptable for any and all audio applications requiring RCA terminations. I was just pointing that out before you engaged in a debate with him about the merits of something slightly better constructed than that.

Griff, I hear ya!

However, a piece of RG59 or RG6 with coax to RCA converters doesn't look nearly as cool as a dedicated RCA cable 2.gif

I agree with Audioholics cable section - cables will all sound the same if they are designed well.

It doesn't hurt to have them look pretty, too!

----------------

No point in arguing with him, Ken. He'll stomp his feet and yell all day that no one needs anything but RF coax for all their RCA-tipped connection cables.

----------------

----------------

I hear ya. I'm not that far off of your thinking, either. However, we're talking about a guy who absolutely insists that solid-center-conductor 75Ohm coax is perfectly acceptable for any and all audio applications requiring RCA terminations. I was just pointing that out before you engaged in a debate with him about the merits of something slightly better constructed than that.

----------------

What the hell? I don't understand Griff - did I offend you or something? I don't remember ever writing anything like that, nor do I remember actually engaging in a debate with anyone about the merits of cable construction.

Oh, and by the way, I used Belden stranded core coax for my digital connections. And I would argue that my cables don't look any worse than most things you can buy, and the build quality is very good, I assure you.

Now I will put the digital (or analog) cables I make up for a Pepsi challenge anytime. I'll bet my tuition that not in a million years will they be statistically different in an ABX test.

ic-1.jpg

Next you want to put someone down, why don't you look in the mirror, you'll find a really good target.

I used the coax for digital because when I was initially making the cables, I couldn't find a dual-shielded twisted pair that I liked. Since then, I've used strictly twisted pair cables, but when I made one for a friend, I substituted it into my system and was unable to hear the difference, so I concluded that there was no point in redoing them at this point.

That's for digital cables only. My analog interconnects have always been twisted pair.

"Why would anyone use a coax cable for digital? Last is a lil' out dated dont you think? Yesterdays news!!!"

Compared to what, Toslink/fiber that's been around in consumer gear for 20 years? Wonder why it is that more and more higher-end receivers/pre-amps are INCREASING the number of coax digital inputs?