Forte II question

sdfan

I just set up a pair of forte II. Sanded them down,stained them cherry. All I can say is WOW. These things ae amazing. They look great and sound even better. And, they're only hooked up to an old p.o.s. Technics receiver for now. The question I have for other owners of these is, how far from the rear wall should these be placed? I've been playing with them for a couple hours now and it seems about 18 inches seems to sound best to me, not that its a problem, just curious to see where others have them. The only problem I have is that I think I've just been bit by the heritage bug. Looks like it's time to start squirreling extra money away and start the hunt for khorns.

I think the optimal distance from the rear wall will vary with the size and shape of the room. Mine are currently set up in a 17 X 17 family room and sound best when about a foot off. When I had them in a smaller room, 12 X 13.5, they sounded best about 6 to 8 inches off the wall. Experiment cause it's your ears that they need to please. Though I now have Cornwalls, I will never get rid of my Forte IIs. Even when the big Ks come to town.

I have my FIIs in the corners of an office about 12 x 18 with an 8 foot suspended ceiling. The edges don't quite touch the walls.

That means there is a bit of chamber back there but I don't hear any boom.

I credit the symetry of the placement and the "Tractrix" mid with the good midrange.

BTW, I think there may be great merit to small SS amps. Of course that is all I've got and have never pulled the trigger on a "good" amp.

Gil

I have my Forte II's at 22 inches from the back wall and toed in towards the listener. This may affect the base level slightly. I think it gives me a less boomy but more crisp base response. Like you, I really like the sound of the Forte II's and would love to hear a set of khorns.

I have the Forte I's and place mine about 16"from the wall. This seems to give the best soundstaging (openness, 3D) without taking away too much of the wonderful Forte bass.

Another consideration is to raise the Fortes to get the squawker closer to ear height at tthe listening position as the are a little short for floor standers. I have mine raised 10" on wooden boxes (hope to sand fill them soon) and this seemed to me to smooth out the sound and open up the stage a bit without affecting the bass.

Drove my Fortes with a Yamaha SS (100W/ch)and they sounded VERY dynamic but...in my opinion a bit grainy and fatiguing. Now use tube gear and am amazed at the sound of these heritage horns. I've run them with low power (17W/ch) and they soudn great with some music but, IMHO the Fortes like a bit of extra juice to really open up. Currently running them with 50W/ch and really enjoying!

KHorns...in my dreams!! and when I have a house to accommodate!

Thanks guys, it seems we,ve got about the same distance. I have mine in the bedroom and the wife isn't too pleased with how far they stick out from the wall. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do a couple more HGTV projects around here as trade off.

My F1s are about 10 inches from the wall and square to the wall. I had them up on stands for a while but went back down. The mids are more pronounced with them up off the floor. I am going to place them in the corners to see what that does to the sound. My room is a ex-bedroom 12 x 12 x 8. I have the closet doors removed and a desk installed in there.