Quicksilver monos- what to gain over tube integrated

richieb

The Cayin TA-30 is a wonderful amp. and for the money you can't go wrong! I too had the Cayin fully upgraded from Buzzy Bee (what a great guy to work with). I upgraded about two months ago to Dodd Audio 8 watt mono blocks and a ground grid pre amp.. Take this with a bowl of salt, I think the Dodd amps. are the other best deal going! The mono blocks cost $1,200.00 new custom built point to point nothing but the best parts. I would (and many others too) put these amps. up against any amp., they are that good! Just like speakers no amp. is perfect and you get to the point where they just sound different. So you will have to find what sounds the best in your home.

Back to your question. Sorry for the rambling. My monos in my system improved the imaging, sound stage, highs and lows were more extended. It is a major improvement. MY next search is for the perfect preamp. for my system. Been looking at BAT 51 se, TacT 2.2s, Dodd Audio, etc.etc. Good luck and enjoy the journey. All the best, Guy

You might want to check out this nice pre-amp, designed and built by Mark Deneen, a regular here. You can get it as line stage or with phono pre built in. If you get busy you get on the list for the road show, it gets shipped to your house for a free trial period, then you send it on to the next guy. This pre is very highly regarded here.

www.juicymusic.com

Tom is right, it is quite possibly "a dozen of this a half dozen of that" proposition. with these amps you cannot really know without auditioning them yourself, ideally in your system. Dodd got some decent press when it had a show with GR speakers recently, but is not as established and proven as Quicksilver. the Cayin seems to be regarded as great bang for the buck. If you like the sound of your amp take your time looking for a replacement, listen and research before moving up, to be sure you are moving up! warm regards, tony