Khorns on the long wall

Woodog

I think there is something to this. I just brought the Forte IIs up and gave them a try at the same positions and they too sounded fantastic. It's not only the imaging but the sound stage that's amazing. With a Blue Note mono spinnin' it's really right there in you face and in stereo, the instruments are right where they are supposed to be. Even my kid, (home for a short break) was impressed. We cranked "Money For Nothing" and he went ape. Wants to take the Forte IIs up to school and pull a garymd. I said the dorm room wouldn't do them justice.

good cover with the boy..the forte's wouldn't take all the beer spilled on them at the dorm.

Seriously, when the imaging is done right you have that wall of sound/the speakers just disappear.

I'm surprised more people didn't read their manual!

PWK didn't offer this advice for nothin'!

Steve

----------------

On 1/17/2005 4:49:39 AM steve wrote:

Seriously, when the imaging is done right you have that wall of sound/the speakers just disappear.

AND....

PWK didn't offer this advice for nothin'!

Steve

----------------

Great. Now for your next assignment and objective, you must make the room disappear!!

AND....

Uhm, yes he did! (pun intended) 2.gif

The room I've got going on "paper" is 30.75' x 20' with 9.5' ceiling. It's only a foot off on target depth. Running the room mode calculator, it seems the modes are pretty evenly spaced up to 200 Hz.

My challenge is how to set up the surround Cornwalls (4). With a 30' width, mid-point on the long wall will be 15', and the "sweet spot" will also be 15' back (isosceles triangle). Since the room is only 20' deep, that only leave 5' behind the listening position available for surrounds, 4' if you use the optimal depth.

How does one reconcile this out in a multi-channel environment? Perhaps make the room a little deeper, or move the listening position forward a bit?

I have an "L" shaped listening area and my KHorns are about 21' apart. I can't say I hear a lot of depth on most material save for some records where the room just fills up. But when watching a move DVD I can get fooled as to whether it's my phone that's ringing or where a knock on the door came from. I have turned around and looked back thinking the knock was really in my room. I'm a bit perplexed as to this because it certainly shows the KHorns are capable of portraying depth, but it seems to be selective...

----------------

On 1/18/2005 4:11:32 PM Ki Choi wrote:

artto:

What are you using to drive the center Belle Klipsch in your setup?

----------------

The same as I use for the flanking speakers. Each speaker is driven by its own Lux MB3045 monoblock amp. The three of them are fed the signal from a "2PH3" center channel circuit that was published in the Klipsch Dope From Hope newsletters. Its basically a whats called a "T-pad". It has a separate high resolution (10 turns full on to full off) military spec potentiometer (volume control) for the center speaker amplifier. I'll be making a new one in the near future with hi-res pots on all 3 output channels