Jolida with Ak crossovers?

tigerwoodKhorns

I know that the Jolida and the AH! Njoe Tjob were recently discussed in a previous thread, but...

I just hooked my K-Horns back up after moving and now that they are in a different room, I had to use a $50 RCA DVD player (wife's purchase, she overruled my veto) with my NOS Valves restored LK-48 CD player. It was unlistenable and the Misses gave the thumbs up on a new CD player.

I am leaning toward a used Jolida JD-100A and am wondering if this will be worth it using the AK crossovers in my K-Horns. I really don't want to spend the money to ALK right now.

The other route (and more expensive) is a new AH! Njoe Tjob (can't seem to find a used one). I have not listened to either, but am relying on you folks here (you have not steered me wrong yet).

The final route woule be to buy a Samsung HD841 DVD on ebay for now, and then upgrade later (also reccomended in the previous thread; we could use another DVD and the price is right). I am wondering if this is the way to go as the tube CD players should be available in SACD at a decent price in the near future. If I buy the Jolida or the AH!, will they be outdated soon?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Congrats on getting the green light on a new CD player.

On your AK crossovers, I'd sure be surprised if anything that Klipsch sent out the door wouldn't work fine with a good CD player. Don't know what years the AK were used, but if you suspect the caps have drifted off spec, send them off to Bob Crites for testing and a cap overhaul if needed. The AK's may not have been around long enough that they are likely candidates for that, though.

On the CD player, that is, IMO a difficult question, when considering the future of CD vs SACD. There are more CD tubed offerings than SACD that I've seen out there. Decware has a tubed SACD/DVD and I think I've seen some Chinese tubed SACD models here and there on the net. Haven't heard any of those. The Decware is priced favorably compared to the AH! w/upsampler, if it delivers.

The AK's aren't old enough to have caps 'gone bad'. Besides, I think they use Mylars, which aren't WWII surplus like the original cans from the A and AA.

I just hooked my K-Horns back up after moving and now that they are in a different room, I had to use a $50 RCA DVD player (wife's purchase, she overruled my veto) with my NOS Valves restored LK-48 CD player. It was unlistenable and the Misses gave the thumbs up on a new CD player.

I think you meant to say "NOSvalves restored LK-48 integrated amp". So, running this with a $50 DVD player sounds bad huh? Man, Craig must be slipping over there.:)

Keep the RCA for movies, and pick up a decent dedicated CD player for Redbook. Choices are nearly endless. The Cambridge Audio units from www.audioadvisor.com sound nice too.

On the network front -- you do need to address that eventually. Needless to say, I'm of the opinion that working the speaker end of things will net bigger improvements in sound than lateral or marginal upgrades in gear. Regardless of the gear used, it will only sound as good as the speaker allows. You might consider upgrading your networks to the AK-3, or like you said -- the ALKs.

On the network front -- you do need to address that eventually. Needless to say, I'm of the opinion that working the speaker end of things will net bigger improvements in sound than lateral or marginal upgrades in gear. Regardless of the gear used, it will only sound as good as the speaker allows. You might consider upgrading your networks to the AK-3, or like you said -- the ALKs.

----------------

The problem is that teh source is so bad right now, that I need to replace it ($50 RCA DVD player). I don't mind springing for the Jolida, I just don't want to upgrade again in a few years.

My other question was not the compatability of the x-overs, just if it is worth it to get the CD player now using the AK's or if I shoudl get the Samsung and then upgrade all items later.

Chris

Lots of good advice here already as to upgrading down the road. There is no guarantee that what you buy today will not be replaced by newer cheaper technology that outperforms what you buy now.

I have the Jolida CDP and use it with Fortes. I had a Rotel which I used with a Theta Pro Basic DAC and found the Jolida much more dynamic with a better sound stage. It is a highly regarded unit and can be upgraded to a very high-end piece should you decide you are looking for more than the stock unit delivers. I have not heard the Ah! but understand it too is a very nice unit. Is the difference in price for a new Ah! versus a used Joilda worth it...you have to decide!

----------------

On 1/11/2005 7:52:11 PM dstrachan wrote:

Lots of good advice here already as to upgrading down the road. There is no guarantee that what you buy today will not be replaced by newer cheaper technology that outperforms what you buy now.

I have the Jolida CDP and use it with Fortes. I had a Rotel which I used with a Theta Pro Basic DAC and found the Jolida much more dynamic with a better sound stage. It is a highly regarded unit and can be upgraded to a very high-end piece should you decide you are looking for more than the stock unit delivers. I have not heard the Ah! but understand it too is a very nice unit. Is the difference in price for a new Ah! versus a used Joilda worth it...you have to decide!

----------------

Thanks for the advice. Am I missing something, SACD, in addition to being 5 channel surround has advantages for 2 channel too (additional information in the recordings), correct?

I think that the Jolida will be a great player, but as I said, I only want to buy it once! In the alternative, I can get a cheaper DVD player and then buy a tube SACD player when one is readily available for cheap (at least compared to today's prices).

Does anyone happen to know if the Jolida is compatible with CD-R's?

Thanks,

Chris

No, I do not believe the Jolida will work with CD-Rs.

That being said, I would still opt for the Jolida if you are seriously considering it. My modded Jolida is the center piece of my system. Early on, I purchased a Denon 2900, and its a fine machine for SACD and DVD-Audio. However, as many, I just do not own that many SACD or DVD-Audio titles yet, and the 2900 is less than spectacular at redbook (CDs). I wanted my larger collection of CDs to sound as good as my SACD/DVD-Audios.

The Jolida has helped me get there. As for technology evolving.... Sure, there may be an ever growing number of SACD/DVD-Audio players that are also tubed - in the coming years. But remember one thing. In my opinion, SACD/DVD-Audio usually sounds better depth-wise and warmth-wise than CDs when we are talking about similar level machines (dollar wise on the chain). And the price of Universal machines keeps coming down. I use my two players (Jolida and Denon) depending on the source material. Why not buy a CD player you will enjoy for years to come - and have the CD thing down pat? Then, you can pick up a reasonably-priced universal player down the road- as that technology keeps advancing - and the prices keep getting lower.

My experience is that unless the piece of equipment requires an "investment" (meant as fairly, fairly expensive), its tough to do multiple things well. For example - the HD841. Some have said that it does redbook great - others not so great. I would have to hear it for myself before I assumed a universal-type player could also do redbook very, very well. Similarly, while it may be possible for a reasonably-priced tubed SACD player to do CDs and SACDs very well, I am still skeptical until I actually hear it. If and when such a player screams to the market, we will all be talking about it as the latest thing...

Just a thought.

Carl.

the question is, which would be the more worthwhile investment (thta is always the question when two components are involved)

the answer is the speakers, I am of the wonderful impression that improving the chain from the speaker end gives you the most bang for your buck-

is something like the Toshiba 9650 like is discussed on another thread out of the question, or are you on a much higher listening field already?

I don't think SACD will survive in the face of HD DVD, I think it will all be DVD, DVD-A for audio, HD DVD for HD TV...

15.gif

----------------

On 1/12/2005 2:39:04 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

Carl,

Have you tried CD-R's in your Jolida? Has anyone out there? Please let me know. Thanks.

Chris

----------------

No, I have not. If I get a chance, I will try one tonight and confirm for sure. I do agree with Colin that often having an old network rebuilt or replaced is often a greater leap forward in sound quality as opposed to your source. But, in my case, I had already had my networks reworked, and the move to the Jolida was also a substantial upgrade in my sound.

So....if you need to replace the source, you might as well do that first. But, I would also get your networks replaced when you get a chance.

Carl.

----------------

On 1/11/2005 11:48:41 PM Colin wrote:

the question is, which would be the more worthwhile investment (thta is always the question when two components are involved)

the answer is the speakers, I am of the wonderful impression that improving the chain from the speaker end gives you the most bang for your buck-

is something like the Toshiba 9650 like is discussed on another thread out of the question, or are you on a much higher listening field already?

I don't think SACD will survive in the face of HD DVD, I think it will all be DVD, DVD-A for audio, HD DVD for HD TV...

15.gif

----------------

OK, I finally have clarity where there was only muddy water. I was going back and forth on teh Jolida / AH! issue and realized that I will be upgrading again in a few years so...

I found a Philips DVD 963SA on Audiogon that was available locally (actually Chris Robinson posted it in an old thread - Thanks Chris). The item is barely used and only $225. I looked up printed an old post on adding a Black Gate capacitor that I will order after I pick up the DVD player this weekend. (anyone out there live in Las Vegas and good with a soldering iron??)

Next step, but something that I will not need to replace in a few years...the ALK's. I have wanted a set of these for two years. I got the price list from AL today. Just out of curiosity, how much are the parts if I buy them myself? I am assuming about $250 or so a set. I ultimately need 4 of them (2 for K-Horns and 2 for Belles), so the savings of buying myself may be worth it. However, my plate is really full right now and it may be smart to just buy them turn-key.

Chris

----------------

On 1/14/2005 1:25:28 AM DeanG wrote:

You're looking for someone to solder in a single electrolytic into your Philips, yet considering building some ALKs yourself? Am I missing something here?

----------------

Yes. I have 20 years of fabrication experience (Auto, home improvement, etc, I am also an engineer) but do not have experience in soldering circuit boards. I need to learn and would like some local advice if possible.

Chris