X-over & sibilance

Coytee

My understanding is that the "A" X-over when comnpared to the "AA" version, has 3 (or perhaps 6??) db increase in it's energy.

If someone has AA with ss and is experiencing sibilance, would not the conversion to A just make it much more annoying?

Does the upgrade also somehow affect the world of sibilance?

I'm just sitting here at work, bored to tears and had to think of something to ask.

10.gif

I have an AA with motor runs that is siblant and another that is not. I think the caps in the siblant one need "refreshing" or "retraining". The ALKs crossovers remove any worry I have over that though.

If you think work can be boring, don't retire. Cold rain on top of slushy snow out there. I have no desire to go out and practice archery as I planned today. The drive and walk are already cleaned. I am "breaking in" my Sonic Image amp in the back room with resistors so I can listen to something besides the Allman Brothers over and over. The forum is slow. The high point of my day today will have to be my nap!1.gif

Rick

The tweeter filter does not casue sibalance as some have suggested. It is something that is actually recorded on CDs. You can even hear it with headphones that have no "network"! If it's there you want to hear it. Make your speaker have a flat frequency response and if the simalance bothers you, turn down the trebble control! The AA network losses 3 dB becasue that energy goes into the squawker and is wasted. The squawker runs from 400 Hz up! If you are going to waste high frequency energy do it by some means you can control and adjustr, like an L pad or the pre-amp trebble control!

Al K.

"If someone has AA with ss and is experiencing sibilance, would not the conversion to A just make it much more annoying?"

No, because any sibilance comes primarily from the midrange. If you're running SS, stay with the AA's. Depending on their age, you might want to consider replacing the capacitors. Do you have the K-55-V or the K-55-M?

Dean: Not sure which I've got. I got my LaScalas about 1980 and they have the AA, that's all I know for sure. they're currently buried behind some "stuff" as I'm moving things about in the basement so I can start FINISHING it, and put them in their new homes, along with their big Brothers 10.gif

If you really want to hear it in a speaker listen to circa 1980's Infinity Reference Standards. Quite possibly the most annoying ssssst sound I have ever heard in any speaker. I had a buddy had a set and he tried 3 or 4 preamp/amp combos and multiple different CD players and no matter what the recording was, the high end just went sssst all the time. The cymbals in the percussion section were unbearable. He eventually sold them and bought POLK SDA 1.5's. I tried to talk him into Klipsch but he professed that a strong coloration existed in any horn driver that unacceptably altered the true nature of the sound. He was a sonar tech in the Navy and I think he was pinged a few times to many.