Question about purchasing Klipschorns

doshi99

I was offered a pair of Klipschorns (build date 1989) from a friend for roughly $2000-2300 (not sure on final price). Big fan of Klipsch sound for movies and music.

I am mostly a home theater fan, but would love to branch into music and was wondering if these would do everything and more for me? I have been using my RF-5's for stereo, and as great as they are, they dont (for music) match the same sound I heard from a B&W set I heard while at a local dealer. I am not saying that I would prefer the B&W sound to the Klipsch, just something I remember about 2-channel stereo.

For the home theater I am running a rc-7, rf-5, rb-5, rs3 package running from a rotel 1080/sony da4es system which I really enjoy. For my money, nothing beats my Klipsch line for movie playback (except maybe the rf-7).

If I were to pick the Klipschorns, I would run them mainly on the Rotel 1080, even though its overkill. I dont see myself getting a tube amp anytime soon (especially if I purchase the klispchorns).

I do however have a large room (dimensions including ceiling) and two great corners for them.

I guess my real question is, other then for collectible reasons, would I hear a big sonic difference between the rf-5 and klipschorns running them both off the 1080 solid state amp. I know with a tube amp it would different, but I dont have another 2K to drop on a tube right now.

Let me know what you think. Any feedback is more then appreciated.

doshi

I heard super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, for over a decade. I heard Reference series loudspeakers briefly over the years in the local Sound Advice/Tweeter audio boutique. I also had a chance to listen to a FR7 pair before Dean upgraded their crossovers with a number of different amplifiers at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. We listened to tube amplifiers and classic Klipsch corner Khorns. Although I love what the big ole horns do with music, I have to admit being very impressed with the upgraded RF7s, for the money and size. There is now ay I would ever part with my Khorns, only continue to make them better. I love what the big ole horns can do, even if you are NOT a tweaking audiophile seeking the best watt in flea-powered amplification. As mains for a HT, I think you will love them and be blown away.

6.gif

Doshi,

Yes, you will most definitely hear a sonic difference in the speakers you mentioned as opposed to the KHorns. And I'm sure you'll find the difference better sounding also.

However, the Rotel 1080, imho is not a very good match for these speakers. Having used them for a little while with my 71 Khorns, I just was not happy with their sound. Very tiring very quickly. Almost boomy.

Regarding your reservation about not being able to afford tube amplification, I think there have been an enormous number of threads about inexpensive such amplifiers which might be a good place to start.

Good Luck and buy them already!

-F

Doshi,

Yes, you will most definitely hear a sonic difference in the speakers you mentioned as opposed to the KHorns. And I'm sure you'll find the difference better sounding also.

However, the Rotel 1080, imho is not a very good match for these speakers. Having used them for a little while with my 71 Khorns, I just was not happy with their sound. Very tiring very quickly. Almost boomy.

Regarding your reservation about not being able to afford tube amplification, I think there have been an enormous number of threads about inexpensive such amplifiers which might be a good place to start.

Good Luck and buy them already!

-F

Welcome Doshi,

I'm not sure if you're talking about putting the Khorns in your home theatre set-up? If you do, they'd sound great for two channel music or movies, but you'd find that your other speakers don't work as well in the system as a whole anymore for multi-channel movies. You'd at least want to get a center that fits well with the Khorns: a Belle Klipsch, La Scala, or Cornwall.

Thanks to all for all the great info....now comes the job of trying to get the speakers.....I will let you guys know....

as for were the speakers would be placed, I was thinking of using them only music. In all honesty, I love my setup for movies and in the end doesnt it all come down to how the stuff sounds to the end user?

I want to get more into the music and believe that these would be the best fit for what I like. Like you guys mentioned, I think I should try and get the speakers and worry about the amp later...you never know when you might run into a tube amp..

thanks

doshi