EL34 vs 6L6GC Question

Marvel

Without being too technical, can someone explain some differences between these two tubes regarding power consumption?

I know that the EL34 requires much more heater current:

EL34 = 1.5 amps

6L6 = .9 amps

What about the other current ratings. I had someone tell me that the 6L6 requires a beefier power supply than the EL34, but I can't figure out where they are getting their data. And I have looked at lots of data sheets trying to compare.

Marvel

Plate current ratings, the fact that 6L6GC started as a metal with less power output and the 'C' is the 3rd generation.

Trademark and the sonic abilities that manufacturer's were trying to achieve added again.

The sheer size of the tube were some of the last additionals.

I have Sylvania, RCA and GE spec sheets but can't up load because of the webtv.

Any specific questions, please PM me, I'll try to send info.

dodger

Thanks Win,

Can you tell me what is higher and how much? I'm trying to get a handle on this.

I know that many folks (and Dynaco themselves) have indicated that you can use a KT66 in place of the EL34 in an ST-70. I have also been told that I could use a 6L6GC, but that it might require more current. I am assuming on the B+.

Marvel

Oh man, how much time do you have?

I can dig up a wealth of design info on this, but the easiest thing might be to simply call Groove Tubes. They bought GE's original production machinery for the 6L6 about 3-4 years ago and they can go into LOTS of depth regarding it and the EL34/ 6CA7GE if you like.