Estate Sales For Dummies !!

Chris Robinson

Just read Thebes' amazing tale of finding that $50 Marantz at an estate sale. Simply amazing. It is not, however, the only time I've heard of amazing bargains at these sales. Folks here seem to score great deals throughout the year.

My point is ... I'm a VERY SLOW NEWBIE (zero) when it comes to estate sales.

(1) I don't know how to find them,

(2) how to scout them out, once I'm there,

(3) any tricks for getting to the good stuff.

So, for you estate sale "experts", can you help a newbie like me getting started with a handy-dandy "101" course?

Assume I know NOTHING 9.gif

Estate sales are typically listed in the newspaper classifieds. Professional scavengers will go to great lengths to see everything before the public arrives in the hopes of finding some expensive jewelry that is thought to be costume jewelry, etc. They'll try to con their way in early by making up some lie or excuse about how they can't be there the day of the sale, blah blah blah.

You could go to sales every week for 10 years and not run into Thebes's luck, though. But if you put the time in you'll undoubtedly find some bargains.

Chris,

To enjoy (and be successful) at finding things of value (for good prices) at Estate Sales (or other 2nd hand places like thrift stores or auctions), you have to have a little bit of the "treasure hunter" spirit. In other words, you have to be able to deal with the fact that most of the time you will come up empty-handed. But occasionally you will, if persistent, find gems. In other words, you must enjoy the hunt. Hey, it gets you out with a different crowd, eh? I mean, I run into people who have never heard my corny jokes, and are generally too polite not to at least give me a courtesy laugh. That's something.

Look for notices of estate sales in the newspaper, sometimes listed with garage or tag sales. Around here, the professional estate sale companies usually run the sales Friday trough Sunday (with Sunday being half-price or discount day). Look for ads Wednesday or Thursday. Don't wait until Saturday to look. You'll be too late. Chris, you're in Boston, right? Don't forget Craigslist.

Getting there early is a good thing. For professionally-run estate sales, starting times are strictly adhered to. Usually (around these parts) some of the regular attendees (buyers, who also sell on eBay, in shops, etc., i.e. other treasure hunters) will start a numbered list showing the order that customers get to enter. They do this so they can go back into their vans and study antique guides, or connect to the internet to post things on the Klipsch forum. Being close to the top of that list can be a real advantage, as the sellers will only let a few customers (say, 15-20) in at a time, and won't let more in until the first person is "full" and pays and leaves. (Funny side-note: Often times they have a separate exit where folks pay, but if they go out the same front door, these early-birds are VERY reluctant to talk about or show the deals they've gotten. They'll have the lids, or their coats, over the boxes of booty. It's obvious the don't want to tell you about the 25-cent score on some trinket they'll try to sell you later for ten dollars. Makes sense. It's still fun to ask, though.).

Once you're in, the pals you've made in line become your competition. You must move fast. If the sale is held in a house, you never know where things will be. Well, if you're looking for things like kitchenware or toiletries (used? YUCK!), you will know where to find 'em, but if it's old Hi-Fi gear, it could be anywhere. I mean, think about it: The Klipschorns, tube amps, turntable and LPs could have been hauled off to the shed when Grandpa passed away (and the kids decided Ma just needed a boombox and a few Sergio Franchi CDs, she never liked or understood all that jazz Grandpa seemed to be osessed with). Or, maybe the old man hid stuff from Ma out in the garage. I have heard of this happening2.gif. Or, on rare occassions, it's still set up in the living room (I checked out some big old JBL Olympus speakers at one sale. They wanted way too much, but they were pretty cool). Remember, too, that someone else is probably looking for the same thing you are, so don't dilly-dally. It's a good idea to begin by scoping the place out for unbelieveable stuff (like a $50 Marantz 8B...I had a hard time sleeping last night!), then zero in on specifics. It can be kind of a fun dance. It can be pretty heartbreaking though, if you see someone hauling out a box of mint LPs while you're still in line...

Oh, don't forget to ask the seller if they have anything you're looking for. Do this discreetly, though. You don't want to tip-off that other guy looking for tube gear that he's got competition.

Like I say, it's a treasure hunt. This should get you going. Remember to bring a big coat. It's not easy to cover Klipschorns.2.gif

Obviously, this is not the kind of thing you can "force", it happens when it happens. After reading about thebes great find, I got all excited and decided to call pawn shops here in the Oklahoma City area hoping there would be at least one ole tube amp around. Called about 25 shops - no tubes. I guess its a "Zen thing" you may find something when you're not looking.

Finally, a topic that I feel I have some knowledge in!

Years ago I had an older neighbor who was an antique dealer. We spent many hours at auctions, estate sales as well running his "route" (he had a network of dealer buddies and they all worked with each other if a buyer was after something specific).

One memorable weekend was spent at an estate sale during which he purchased the contents of the basement and the attic for $200.00. Nothing but stairs. UGH!

We had to take it all, good bad or otherwise.

Why did he do that????? Blanket Chests in the attic..

Half a dozen very old blanket chests in the attic!

I had an uncle who was an antique dealer, also.

He bought a tea service set for $250.00 dollars at an estate sale. He didn't know what he bought, he just knew it was good.

His wife was gonna kill him for spending that money.

He wound up selling it through Southeby's for ten thousand or so. I don't remember the exact number.

I recommend that you keep your eye out for the 8B Marantz for $50.00 deal, but that you also diversify a tad so that disappointment doesn't prematurely dampen your enthusiasm.

Buy a piece of glass, or a vintage book, or whatever tickles your fancy.

It also helps if you take a friend with you. Someone with differant purchasing interests, though.

That makes it more fun.

I wouldn't take a fellow forum member unless you get to hold their wallet before they exit the vehicle....

I you look long enough the deals are there. Been there, done that. Just make sure you have fun looking.

WOOF!

Not having the day job helps a great deal. We have a friend who is a stay at home mom and while the kids are at school she goes "junking, as she calls it". She has a little booth in one of those "antique" malls and does not make a killing but makes enough to play on.

Well, if you know anyone that does that sort of thing, invite them over and show them what you are looking for. She knows to call me if she ever finds a speaker with the name Klipsch on it. She has called twice, both times they were asking more than I would want to pay. I have been to a few estate sales, but they do take alot of your time.

On a side note, there was an ad in today's classified that said,

"klipach" 5.0 floor standing HT system, 400 OBO. I have not called on in and really do not know if I am, I guess since I am curious about the model I will at least give them a call.

We have a local antique dealer that specializes in estate sales. My wife is on their mailing list, so we get a week or so advance notice. I've even taught her what to look for and call me with what electronics are there. Unless, of course, I can find time off work to go myself.

----------------

On 1/16/2005 10:20:55 AM mdeneen wrote:

My conclusion was this. SOME people are simply blessed with luck, kharma, or the midas touch, others are destined to utter disappointment! It's a simple statistical distribution curve.

----------------

It helps to be open to incredible bargains outside of your normal interests. For example, if you don't find a Gibson, but you DO find a couple of Singer Featherweights for $10 each (and you know what they're worth), you can parlay that into money towards a Gibson, at retail. Kind of a lot of work, but it's a good theory. Or, worst case, you join the "Singer Sewing Machine" Forum, and become a legend over there.

fini its funny you mention singer featherweights. There's a HUGE annual church sale here that I always go to. I spied a singer featherweight but didn't know what it was really. I knew enough to know that it was old and possibly worth more than the $25 asking price.

I drove home, jumped on ebay, punched in the model number and up came the completed featherweight auctions! WOW! I jumped back in the car and zipped over there hoping it would still be on the table.

It was! As I remember, I resold it on ebay for around $300.

There's fun and profits to be made scouring all the sales. I find that I strike out about 90% of the time though.

I don't bother with the estate sales anymore. There are so many people doing the ebay reselling thing nowadays. The competition is to fierce! If the estate sale is advertised in the paper for 8am, expect 30-100 people already standing in line when you arrive at 8am.

I've found most estate sales start on friday and run to sunday. On friday you have to be one of the first in line to get a chance at most of the "good stuff".

The estate sale companies know exactly what they have and price the stuff rediculously high. They will not even think of negotiating until late saturday or sunday. As saturday and finally sunday rolls around they get more desperate and will bargain. I find estate sales to be a complete waste of time. Sure, there may be the $50 marantz 8b or equivelant score but IMO those deals 1 in 10,000. Expect to do a lot of hunting if those are the kind of scores you're after.

I ran a wanted ad in the local paper for "old stereo gear". For the 1st 2 years it produced so much stuff I couldn't believe it. 6.gif6.gif I made a lot of money and got to play with a lot of great vintage gear. It was awesome!

Then ebay started advertising everywhere and the calls all but stopped. I still run the ad because it's only $15 a week. The calls I usually get now are... "Hi, I have a magnavox console. I've seen them sell for $300 on ebay but I'd sell it to you for $150" because it doesn't work."

Good primer Fini,

I can't possibly count the number of Estate Sales I've been to in the last 20 years or so... never found a Marantz 8 or even a MC-30. Deals are out there but you need a good eye, persistance, and KNOWLEDGE - the true power of the deal. There must have been at least 100 eyes passing over that amp that Thebes saw but he was either the first to recognize its value or he had enough curiosity to open the box. I have friends that scour thrift shops, estate sales, pawn shops, and the classifieds looking for anything of value. Its a true crapshoot but there are ways to increase the chances of success.

Like the others suggest - you gotta hit as many sales as possible and get there early - usually a line forms about an hour before the start. Most of the folks in line are pros and they will be looking for the truely valuable items - furniture, art and jewelry so you can get a leg up by heading to the less crowded spots - I tend to start in the basement.

Also, keep in mind that estate sales run through estate shops are usually the last places to find a deal. The shop owners have already picked through and removed most anything of value. They also have a list of buds that they call for an "early-bird" sale and anything left is available at the public sale. There's a much better chance of success if you target the private sales - usually found in the classifieds - look for "garage", "moving" and "yard" sales as well since some folks don't know what an estate sale is.

Finally, if you're only looking for say, high-end audio equipment from the 50's and 60's - chances are extremely slim that you will come across anything interesting in the next 20 years or so. To avoid the constant disappointment, it'd be wise to extend your searches to other items - musical instruments, war and show-biz memorabilia, photo equipt, etc. Whatever you may have an interest in because if you can research these genres, you will have at least a chance in hell of coming away with something interesting if not valuable.

The knowledge you've aquired matched against the seller's ignorance is the optimal combination needed to get the best deal. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

And if no one else has mentioned it, always have plenty of CASH in your pocket. If you see a credit card machine at the checkout - RUN AWAY!

Have fun -Bryan

Luck, luck, luck.

I walked into a Pawn shop in town looking for records. The moment I opened the door I saw a pair of speakers with 'cane' grills sitting on the floor. Quick inspection confirmed they were Heresies. Woo hoo. Talk the guy down to $100. Done deal.

Here is the thing. I had just spent a bunch of money on KSP's. I shouldn't have been in the market... but was not about to let a spouse yelling interfere with my 'score'.

I have spent the last two years trying to find some other bargain - I have seen lots of junk. Lots. But that one score... hell, reminds me of why I play golf.

Good luck.

Heh, funny, Robert! When I golf (about once every 2 years), I figure one good drive, one good approach shot, a good chip, and a good putt (for the whole round!), and I am in heaven. Of course, I usually run out of balls before that happens.

It is so endearing when the spouse says, "This is the last pair of speakers, right??!" That is, if she is able to find them...

not having the karma that mdeneen talks about, I just follow fini around the estate sale like a pilot fish and get the little finds he tosses my way, mostly the the old Bongo LPs, a category which he has graciously let me be the king of. fini gave me the heads-up on a recent local estate sale auction and I found a cool vintage conga drum of interesting and mysterious origin which I am anxious to restore and add to the collection, all of which, of course, get played and enjoyed. tnx fini for sharing your good treasure-hunting early-bird karma.

C&S

My biggest "just missed deal" was a pair of JBLs.

I walked into the salvation army a while back and saw a smallish vintage pair of speakers sitting on the floor with a sold tag on them. They had thick glass tops on them. One look and I knew they were well built and special. Took a quick glance at the backs and saw JBL L65 Jubal. Popped the grills off and noticed the woofers needed surrounds but otherwise the jubals were mint.

I asked the buyer what he paid and he said $20. 6.gif In talking with him I realized he had no clue what he had just purchased. I offered him $40 but he said no.

He uncaringly tossed them into the trunk of a cab that was waiting outside to take him home. 14.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61377&item=5743966793&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The tweeters regularly sell for $500+ on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5741480275&rd=1

99_12_sb.JPG