KLF-30 now sound bad???

probillygun

I've had KLF-30's for about 5 yeras now and always loved their sound listening to music. (Big reason why I bought them)

But my lifesyle has changed over the 5 years to the point where I recently discovered that I have'nt really listened to them criticaly in 2 channel stereo for about 2-3 years becasue they are part of my Home theater 5 channel surround setup and I watch movies over 90 pecent of the time.

I put in some of my reference material CD's the other day and disovered that they sound terrible to me! YIKES. The bass sounds ok, top end sounds good too, but the midrange sounds, dull, flat, lifeless. What do you think happened??? Did they always sound like this? Has my taste in "Sound" changed? Any opinions would help me here on this I'm very perplexed by this......8.gif

This has happened to me too. I think your ears and tastes change over time.

I'm listening to a particular sound quality from my Khorns now, that in the past I would have thought to be aweful.

That's why they make so much different stuff! Might not even be the speakers, could be that you need to experiment with different electronics.

Greg

I've heard Klipsch speakers described a lot of different ways but never " midrange sounds, dull, flat, lifeless"6.gif

Have you burned out your mid-range horns voice coils with movie effects? Are they working? The plastic Tracix horns and magnets are held together by three screws and nuts, if these loosen from vibration the VC will jam and could short. Wires come loose. Defecation occurs.2.gif

It may be time to operate Doctor.

Rick

If you have not cleaned your interconnects and speakerwire ends in a while that would be the first thing I'd do. Some Caig deoxit is good to use on the ends with a little elbow grease. Those greenie pads are handy to get down to the metal. They do get corroded over time. Check for the speakers being out of phase also. You might not notice this with background music but with critical listening you probably would.

Good luck, Randy

I put my ear "Closer" to the midrange horns and can't hear any distortion from them so I dont think they are blown.

I agree with you! I always loved the strong clear mids from these, actualy they were stong clear everything when I first remember hearing them. Loved em.

Let be more specific; it seems like its the lower mids, coming from the 12"s not the horns. like lower male voice seems to be muffled in with everything else. not clear, standing out, instruments seem to blur together in the upper bass lower mid area. The 12"s are crossed at 800 HZ and down. seems kinda high I guess. Maybe a smaller mid would be more articulate at doing the frequency range???

I don't really know anymore, I did'nt want to have to buy new speakers but it's really bothering me. Now that I heard this bad sound on music, I can hear it now in movies too! I'm listening closer for detail during movies and it's not there either. Uuuuugghhh! Help. I dont want to have to put my KLF-30's on Ebay.

14.gif

Your Adcom 555 is now 25 years old, and it's ready for a tune up. You should contact Adcom and find out how much they charge to change out the electrolytics. Most of these amps are now used as subwoofer amplifiers. The problem is not your speakers. Personally, I think you should seriously consider another amplifer. Quality, more up to date amplifiers can be bought on the used market, in near new condition -- for half of their retail price.

www.audiogon.com