Universal DVD player under $500?

RichardP

I have been enjoying DVD-A disks for a few months, but playing only the DD 5.1 tracks, as I do not have a multi-channel DVD player. The DD 5.1 sounds great, by the way. I want to get a universal player to play both DVD-A and SACD as they were intended. Until recently I was planning on getting the Yamaha universal changer (DV-C750) at about the $300 price point. Then I learned that Yamaha also has the DV-C6770, which appears to be the same item (similar marketing strategy as their RX-V vs. HTR receiver lines, I guess), at $250 online. However, I can find only three user reviews of either online (one at audioreview.com and two on other AV forums), and two of the three users report defective units which froze up in normal play. So much for that model. I thought I wanted a changer, but I would give up the changer function to have a single drawer player that works reliably. So, my question is which model of universal DVD player would anyone recommend for under $500? I do not want to risk any used items, nor do I want to pay more than $500 (much less if possible), as HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) format is on the horizon. But, I am not sure I want the ultra-cheap units (e.g., Pioneer 578) either. I have an HD monitor RPTV, so a model with a digital connection (DVI, HDMI, or whatever) may serve me better than one with only component video connections. Someone posted this exact question about 6 months ago, but that is a long time in technology/marketing years, so I figure that some of you may have additional newer info. Thanks in advance.

Yamaha generally has a good rep. As far as the connections DVI is already outmoded as the HDMI is now on the newer model DVD players and HDTV's. The newer DVD upconvert players only work through HDMI and not component. They do this so you have to buy a new HDTV with the HDMI jack. Also some of the HDTV's with DVI inputs only handle 720p. The HDMI cable combines the video and sound whereas DVI is video only. I assume (bad word) that the future HD-DVD and Blue-Ray DVD players will all have HDMI jacks for hi def only and the heck with everybody with component out for hi-def. So that means component and DVI jacks are dead in the water.

JJK

I had a Yamaha 750 and a 1500,my only big complaint was the upsampling(I know that was too much to ask at that price but..)Otherwise they worked ok.The Denons should be close to your price range,2200,2900 and 2910 but they vibrate on many disc.If you want top notch video and audio its gonna cost,if you can stand ok video the Pioneer 45a does really good audio at its price 250 used 350 new.

I'm sure there are cheap players that do good video but prolly not so hot audio,good luck.

Thanks for the replies, although I am surprised at so few responses after 3 days. Surely a lot of you have universal DVDs and play DVD-As & SACDs (I gather this from the music recommendations thread each week). Could I get any opinion by anyone who has a universal player, regardless of price? I have spent a good deal of time over at the AVS forum; there is an overwhelming amount of info on many models (mostly Denon), and from that info it seems that almost every player between $100-$1000 has some sort of video problem (chroma bug, etc.), or a bass management problem, or other problem (even ones I don't really understand); it is actually hard to get a bottom line (recommend/don't recommend) on any of them.

Because I spend most of my forum time here and not at AVS, I apparently value sound quality over video quality, so maybe the audio attributes are more important to me, if that helps anyone's recommendations.

Guest Anonymous

i have one, but i just don't use it that much due to the fact that the media for it is so expensive and i really like a lot of varity so when i only like 2 or 3 songs off a 20 dollar disc i get discouraged from buying more of them, so instead i have revearted back to analog and heading for the vinyls! i am working on a new tt and my neighbors and relatives just gave me all of their vinyls so i am looking forward to getting this rig set-up, but anyways thats my 2 cents

----------------

On 1/20/2005 3:10:45 PM RichardP wrote:

Because I spend most of my forum time here and not at AVS, I apparently value sound quality over video quality, so maybe the audio attributes are more important to me, if that helps anyone's recommendations.

----------------

Per Chris Robinson's reccomendation, I just bought a Philips DVD 963 SA. I got it on Audiogon from a local who barely used it. Paid $225 and it sounds great. I am going to channge the capacitor to a blackgate $29 and be in cheap sonic heavin. I hear the video on thsi unit is good too. For the price, you cannot go wrong. Do a search in the two channel forum on this unit.

Chris