Cloning an MC-30..?

Joe Auwen

How hard would it be to clone an MC-30 amp? Is there any reasons why a clone with modern parts wouldn't sound pretty much the same? Has someone tried it before and what were the results?

Would the effort/expense be worth it?

Joe Auwen

PS still looking for tube amps to go with my Juicy Music Peach and '88 Klipschorns..

the key are the trannies...bit of a black art that...McIntosh winds its own on specially made jigs and equipment, doubt anyone could really reproduce those exactly.

you could build amps like the McIntoshs, using similar circuits but I suspect the sound would end up different, not necessarily bad, but different.

warm regards, tony

The problem as others have suggested would be the Iron. McIntosh used a proprietary winding method to create the mode of operation on the output tubes called unity coupled. No one other then McIntosh has ever wound transformers this way as far as I know and this was all done in house on there custom machinery. What your asking to do is almost impossible without either a MC30 donor amp for the Iron or getting Iron directly from McIntosh which would be crazy expensive. Like mentioned above it would be cheaper to just buy a nice pair and be done with it.

Craig

Sure every thing else would be standard fair. Just follow the schematic. I personally think its not worth the trouble. A good portion of the appeal of owning McIntosh is that its a McIntosh. They sound very good when working up to snuff but the sound can be equaled and exceeded.

Craig

I agree with you, Craig. When you could pick up pairs of MC-30s for $500 (up until about 4 years ago!) they were THE best deal in audio. But now with prices nearing $2000 per pair, there are plenty of other options to consider.

But even at $1500 they more than hold their own with other amps in that price range.

ESPECIALLY if you love that McIntosh sound!

Craig, it was nice chatting with you today while you were in the checkout line...

I have my eye on an ugly-duckling pair of mac MC-30s. If I can get my hands on them, I plan to rebuild them with new bases and some new components top & bottom. This would just be a fun project as I have a pair on almost mint MC-40s coming next week that will be my "I'm a McIntosh owner" pair....:-)

----------------

On 1/20/2005 12:51:27 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I agree with you, Craig. When you could pick up pairs of MC-30s for $500 (up until about 4 years ago!) they were THE best deal in audio. But now with prices nearing $2000 per pair, there are plenty of other options to consider.

But even at $1500 they more than hold their own with other amps in that price range.

ESPECIALLY if you love that McIntosh sound!

----------------

In most case I would say they floor amps in the $1500 range new !