DIYNET show on HT rooms

ygmn

Been seeing this on every day this week around 6pm.....

Pretty interesting...they started kinda very begginerish..with HT in a box...but now they are on room acoustics....very interesting...

Showed c channel with rubber isolation for hanging double sheetrock of various thickness...

showed using bat insulation in each stud cavity and then in every other one coming back and installing dense fiber board for bass traps....

Showed not to mud and tape wall sheetrock to ceiling sheetrock but use and acoustic caulk stuff....

Showed how to make a floating floor with insulation under....

Showed how to seal doors...etc etc..

running signal wires perpendicular to power wires in floors and ceilings....

Putting media cabinet on back wall to help reduce reflections...

Then they show some cool HT from famous peeps...

Worth a watch....and maybe check out the DIYnetwork website....

Sounds to me definitely worth a watch.

There was one other home show - can't remember name or names - that had a price is no object computer control for lights, oven, etc..

When installing the HT, the owner of the Amplifier Company was there to facilitate installation.

As if that was the norm for him.

dodger

Can someone explain the bass traps they made using cardboard tubes (like the ones they sell at Home Depot for concrete) and then filling them with sand.

Since the guy doing the room is a Home Theater professional with an engineering degree, Im assuming the sand is an effective media for bass traps -- but does anyone know why sand and the technical/acoustical explanation of using sand ?

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 1/20/2005 3:22:49 PM ygmn wrote:

the web page has a lot of the info for a review of what was discussed:

Great info. guys. Just Tivo'ed upcoming shows.

FYI, 5 episodes scheduled. 2/28, 3/1, 3/2, 3/3, 3/4. All shows 6:30 eastern on DIY Network.

----------------

Had a DIY network marathon last night thanks to Tivo! Watched 5-30 minute epoisodes in less than 2 hours (can't watch live tv anymore!) but anyway..

Pretty interesting stuff. Always read Corey Greenberg when he was writing for Home Theater magazine. Enjoyed him and Brent Butterworth every month for a couple years.

Anyway...(once again), I have a project that I will get you forum members involved in during the next several weeks. I'm opening a new office/showroom for my Directv business. 17'X 18" display room for Directv parts and accessories, along with telco/networking, A/V accessories.

Phase II is a 13'wide X 23'long X 8' tall home theater room. Front wall is sheetrock, along with the left side wall. Right side wall is concrete block, and the back wall is also sheetrock with pine bookshelves from floor to ceiling. Ceiling is 2x2 tiles with fiberglass bat insulation laying on top.

I will be of course using this room to demo DVR with Tivo and DD 5.1 and also High definition and HD DVR with Tivo in DD 5.1. IT WILL NOT BE A HIGH END ROOM! HOWEVER, IT WILL ALSO NOT BE AT THE LOW END! There are plenty of custom HT dealers in the Birmingham AL. area. There are also, as you can imagine plenty of Wal-Marts here (HTiaB).

I will post pictures soon so you can start brainstorming if you wish. If it takes a while for me to respond, it is because I am VERY BUSY and EXCITED about this project..