Capacitor Nomenclature Question

fini

console_couple_close.jpg

auri_couple_close.jpg

Is the brown "milk dud" a capacitor of the same value as the Auricap? If so, did they change the nomenclature on caps (i.e. the old one, from my Fisher console, says ".047 K", where as the new Auricap says ".047 mfd")? When did this change occur?

I stand corrected by Mr Dean. The K is the tolerance not the value.

The .047 or .000000047F or .000047uF or .047 uF the u or that fancy m means 6 places after the decimal or the capacity of 1 millionth of one Farad which is one columb of electrons which is the amount of electrons that pass through a one Ohm resistor at one volt in one unit of time (sec) or one ampere that is it disipates one watt.

Huh?9.gif

Both uF and subscrirt K are still used by various manufacturers.

Rick

----------------

On 1/21/2005 12:25:13 PM D-MAN wrote:

Fini, how do you get such gorgeous pictures? Mine always look like, well, you know...

DM
2.gif

----------------

That's easy! I'm a good photographer!9.gif

Good camera (Sony DSC-S75), good use of controls, watching focus, etc. (didn't quite get it on that Auricap shot, though).

Thanks for the compliment! Right now, I'd trade some of my camera ability for a bit of tube smarts...

One small footnote...the dashes on the left side of old cap indicate which lead is connected to the outer foil, and therefore that lead should be connected to ground (or the point closest to ground) in the circuit. That gives a slight bit of shielding in RF circuits, but I rather doubt it means anything at audio frequencies.

----------------

On 1/21/2005 1:19:10 PM fini wrote:

That's easy! I'm a good photographer!
9.gif

Good camera (Sony DSC-S75), good use of controls, watching focus, etc. (didn't quite get it on that Auricap shot, though).

Thanks for the compliment! Right now, I'd trade some of my camera ability for a bit of tube smarts...

----------------

So it's the camera!9.gif

DM2.gif

----------------

On 1/21/2005 1:19:10 PM fini wrote:

----------------

Fini, I am not familiar with that camera or series -- how did you do that very close-up macro shot? Was it mostly the standard macro function on the camera, or did you also photoshop it down? Either way, it looks like very good performance.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

It was just standard macro. What I did do in Photoshop was crop and resize. That's why it looks so big. I usually shoot photos bigger than I post anyway, to get better detail. Have you noticed, Dean takes great close-up, too.

----------------

On 1/21/2005 3:57:52 PM fini wrote:

Larry,

It was just standard macro. What I did do in Photoshop was crop and resize. That's why it looks so big. I usually shoot photos bigger than I post anyway, to get better detail. Have you noticed, Dean takes great close-up, too.

----------------

I sure have noticed! I found it hard to believe he could do that and his other fine photography with a point-and-shoot, if that's what he uses. I think it says a lot for your Canon that it came out so well. My Nikon 5000 simply isn't much good for this, and I finally got an SLR digital to do better work in close-ups.