Ok, I am freaking out- computer issues

tpg

Try completely uninstalling your modem drivers and installing a fresh copy from the driver disk I hope you still have. Chances are something got corrupted when you installed the new files and when the driver was rolled back, the corrupted file is still in use. If you don't have your disc with the modem drivers on it anymore, try downloading the drivers again and see if that helps.

On a side note, is it possible to connect your ADSL modem to a network card instead of the USB connection? NIC connections are infinitely more stable than USB because they're made for data transfer along the Internet protocols.

May I offer a somewhat unsolicited suggestion? Forget about the laziness and go the ethernet route. It's mature. It's stable. It Just Works.

I've never never ever had to dump and reload an entire system just because an ethernet card driver crapped out on me. Come to think of it, I've never had an ethernet driver go south. Or a card. Hmm.

2.gif9.gif10.gif

usb stuff still tends to disappear on occasion, and it is probably the vendor's driver and not the OS. Olorin is digging at you since he has a Mac (IIRC). Nice OS. XP is nice too, once you turn off all the junk. Too bad they made it look like AOL.

Marvel

----------------

On 1/23/2005 12:18:26 PM tpg wrote:

My biggest concern about this whole scenario... Why the heck am I bothering to waste processor power, hard drive space, etc. to have System Restore on if it is not even going to work?! Every computer I've tried to restore, ever, has failed to do so. Just another reason I am hating my major (IT) even more....

----------------

Exactly. I never run with system restore on because all current viruses write themselves into the system restore's history, not to mention it only works with recently installed programs so it does absolutely no good...