The best money I have ever spent....

dubai2000

....after having got my speaker set-up (sub included) and switching to tube amps is on my recently acquired (slightly used) Behringer DSP 8024 EQ and its matching microphone. For those of you who have already worked with EQs it might be laughable, but mastering even proper reading of the RTA curve (or rather grasping that 70db is louder than 90db and how to adjust EQ sliders that is: do I add db or reduce levels?) was kind of tricky for my non-mathematical brain. Yes, I even reached a stage where I thought that this was/is the first piece of audio gear I cannot master.

BUT things did improve because I got great support from two forum members (thanks a lot Mike and Jim!!!).

I dont want to bore you with all the things that didnt work (due to my slow learning), but it might turn out useful for others to know that when I inserted the unit between external crossover and sub (to smooth out sub response) it didnt work because -try as I might- the input signal remained too weak.

So out I dug my trusted MX110 and utilized its tape loop. I set up RTA parameters and pressed the button. Looking at my readings I noticed a dip between 500hz and 2.5k and some rise below 50hz (with a peak around 25hz). As Auto EQ didnt do a proper job (surely my fault!), I adjusted EQ settings manually...getting quite close to a flat curve.

One of the CDs I had been playing a lot lately was Roger Waters Radio K.A.O.S, so why not hear what it sounded after EQing?

Well, tonally I was not that pleased (I found it a bit too bright and bass to lean), BUT the improved clarity was staggering. I could really look into the recording like never before. Out came a lot of other music...and the result was always the same: a lot more natural and much clearer.

I had read that flat curves are not necessarily the most pleasant sounding, so I rolled of treble a bit and increased (an otherwise flat) bass output by a few db...using my ears as guide...the result: a more natural (because smoother) sound with controlled bass that first sounds leaner, but going back to un-EQed sound revealed it as kind of bloated before...(which I only notice now in comparison).

Let me tell you: this is undoubtedly an improvement I had not expected. You all have read (and probably experienced) about details that you suddenly hear when upgrading equipment. I can only say that this unit helps to do that more than any change of amp/tube etc. has ever done for me.

For the fun of it - and to make sure I didnt make a complete mess - I took the EQ out of the signal and it was like a whole load of blankets being thrown over my ears!

I should add that I find this enlarged/more precise soundstage even more remarkable as I am using the Marantz 8B at the moment and good as the amp is I have never though that soundstaging is its most outstanding feature guess I was wrong.

Of course the Behringer offers additional features as well, but this being all new, I take my time discovering other benefits that might be hidden (basically thinking of its parametric EQ function). For the time being I just thought I have to share...

Wolfram

Addition: I have just played parts of Beethoven's 9th in the old Furtwängler live recording and even here more 'depth' is revealed....leaves me almost stunned....bearing in mind that we are talking about a 1942 (!) recording!

Wolfram

Dean,

I cannot imagine that you'll regret it. Often when I pick a CD I 'know', I must admit to myself that it is only half the truth. Granted, first it's a bit unusual to hear familiar tracks in this new - I'd call it 'cleaner' light - but go back to the original and your ears will tell you which is....I was about to say 'right', but it might be safer to say 'closer to reality'. In the end listening remains subjective but for my ears there is no going back.

I have just finished the 1942 Beethoven and the more of sonic information retrieved is really surprising: within the limits of the recording I get more ambience information (pages turning, audience moving, orchestral front-back-perspective, more truthful timbres). The logic of Furtwängler's interpretation becomes a lot clearer because dynamic differences are also more clearly/cleanly depicted.

Remember: the unit discussed in the other thread is the later/current model, mine offers a few less facilities (and fewer EQ bands), but fundamentally it does the same job and - being used - was even less costly 9.gif .

Wolfram

Joe Shmoe, I was thinking of hooking my old Technics EQ up to my Yamaha RXV 1400. I noticed it had 2 sets of in and outs (which I think can be like Monitors or the tape loop) Labeled as MD/tape and CD-R. Don't know about your Denon. Havn't tried it yet. Just as well it's paid for. Not exactly pro gear but trying not to upgrade only after trying all resources.

gib