Listened to SACD Muti-Channel

garymd

I've got a multi-channel consisting of Belles front l&R La Scalas rear L&R, and Fortes for center and side surrounds. It sounds awsome in multi-channel mode, even starting with 2 channel source like vinyl. Really full, balanced sound. This system is all Outlaw Audio gear for amps and pre-amp.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a couple of Sony NS775V DVD/SACD players to replace a 6 year Pioneer DVD and also picked up Dark side of the Moon on that Hybrid style sacd and I am hearing stuff I never did on vinyl or cd. I need to get a few more, but am not really sure what to get yet.(jazz, classical...dunno) But what I've heard so far is pretty interesting. I think from what I've heard, alot is gonna depend on the masters and who does the re-mix so to speak.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 8:13:37 PM thebes wrote:

I'm of mixed minds about the SACD and DVD-A formats. I've got a great little HT setup with a Denon receiver, a Pioner 563a multi-layer and a timber matched KG 5 speakar system. I've got a couple of SACD's and a couple of DVD-A's (no telarcs-rats)and quite frankly I'm only moderatly impressed.

I just wanted to point out that dvda or sacd is not going to be very well represented by the 563a.I have one in a 3rd set up,and its an ok universal player,it cannot reproduce dvda/sacd to its potential to say the least,think of BSR.I actually hooked it to my main set up and was very surprised how generic it made hi-rez sound.

Its really not fair to judge sacd/dvda until its been heard on a system that can make full use of benefits.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 6:36:22 PM paulieparrot wrote:

It's the mastering more than anything that makes the difference. If you play an LP, record it onto your hard drive through a quality sound card, and make a CDR of it, it will sound like the LP.

----------------

I suppose that depends on how fine a point one would like to put on the definition of "like".

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:15:22 PM Fish wrote:

Its really not fair to judge sacd/dvda until its been heard on a system that can make full use of benefits.

----------------

That makes perfect sense to me!

I think its hard for many of us that are really invested in analog to make that same investment (not just $$'s) into top-end digital when we derive so much satisfaction from our analog experience. The converse, I'm sure, is also true. Not that you were asserting otherwise, mind you...

maybe the bigger question should be is how long will new recordings be available on LP?

how many labels still release new recordings on vinyl?

at a certain point, you may be stuck listening to your old vinyl or buying used vinyl and still not be able to buy the newer recordings because they haven't been released in that format.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 3:36:49 PM minn_male42 wrote:

maybe the bigger question should be is how long will new recordings be available on LP?

how many labels still release new recordings on vinyl?

at a certain point, you may be stuck listening to your old vinyl or buying used vinyl and still not be able to buy the newer recordings because they haven't been released in that format.
----------------

Very good points, Russ. There's a fair amount of new release vinyl out there, but I must say I don't buy much at this juncture. I'm still trying to catch up to all the stuff I haven't listened to. I'd bet that a good portion of SACD releases are available on LP as well. I know when I was browsing for Alison Krauss, it was pretty much available both ways. I bought Bjork's new one, and The Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi..." recently. Haven't listened to the Bjork yet. The Lips sound great on vinyl. I actually used it to help compare phono cables (that was revealing), as I had a good baseline from the Redbook version.

I'm counting on today's digital formats being pretty well obsolete by the time vinyl becomes too impractical for me, if it ever does. Carpe vinyl while you can, I guess.

There are still dozens if not hundreds of "new" LPs I'd like to buy. I end up buying more used then new however. There's always a risk buying used but if you know what you're doing, that risk is fairly minimal.

I do enjoy 2-channel SACD AND redbook CDs. I also have about 200 or so LPs I haven't listened to yet in my collection. I don't think LPs are going anywhere anytime soon. Actually, from what I've seen, it's quite the opposite. So many LPs are being re-released on 180 or 200 gram vinyl, and loads of great mono albums continue to be re-issued. If production came to a sudden halt, I'd still have years worth of music at my fingertips, not including the used market.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 12:55:13 PM maxg wrote:

As it happened I had 10 recrds I had kept since my days of youth and had a burning desire to listen to the Beetles Blue Album which I did not have on CD.

BTW - it wasnt actually the Bettles that swang it.

----------------

You should hear The Beatles on vinyl, if you think the Beetles and the Bettles are good 1.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2005 3:36:49 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

A lot of people like listening to the material they heard during their impressionable teen years. For the typical profile, middle-aged male in the Klipsch forum, that means 1970s rock music. I don't think vinyl of new acts really matters in this scenario.

Although I get new releases of classics all the time, I'm in the same position as numerous people here, with already more than enough music than I can ever do justice to in my lifetime. Everything that comes in now is gravy.

You don't have to assume the passive role. The one thing ALL formats share is that they are closely watched by the "record" companies with regard to their ECONOMIC viability. As long as "we" "vote with our wallets" vinyl will be available. It may not be as readily ACCESSIBLE as the competing formats, but available none the less to the determined. Consumer's facilitated the MURDER of the LP with their lemming like embrace of the marketing hype "perfect sound forever". This claim has already been proven absurd after only 20 years or so. Witness the current discussion. The "phonograph" as expressed and defined by the "Berliner" record has survived for nearly 100 years. It will only perish if "we" turn a blind and foolish eye, and allow it.

Obviously and always,

Analogman

Good spot Paul - I switch between too many machines, mainly portables with slightly off keyboards to be continuously accurate with my typing.

The one I am using now is an HP Omnibook and I absolutely loath its keyboard. The cheapo no-name clone I have in the office has a way better keyboard bizarrely enough.

As for running out of vinyl, new or otherwise - I dont think it is a major concern. Even Sony have started up production again. There was an AC/DC thread on here a couple of days ago - I imagine someone mentioned that the entire catalogue of their albums is available again on vinyl for dedicated fans. IF not - you heard it here first folks.

IF you want to see which other companies are putting out vinyl check out www.elusivedisc.com. They do SACD DVDa Vinyl and XRCD. No shortage of any of those formats it seems.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 6:02:06 PM maxg wrote:

Good spot Paul - I switch between too many machines, mainly portables with slightly off keyboards to be continuously accurate with my typing.

----------------

Not a problem. So when you typed that you like LP better, you just hit the wrong keys and meant you like CD better?

----------------

On 1/28/2005 6:06:27 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 6:02:06 PM maxg wrote:

----------------

Not a problem. So when you typed that you like LP better, you just hit the wrong keys and meant you like CD better?

----------------

Good heavens did I really write LP. I meant MP3! CD? Are you joking - that is such OLD technology now. MP3 is way newer and way better!!!