Looking for best example of "Adagio for Strings"

Mighty Favog

----------------

On 1/27/2005 1:25:18 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Leonard Slatkin, St. Louis Symphony Orch., Telarc recording. Other great music on there as well - excellent foggy day stuff.

----------------

Picked that one up at Borders this afternoon, Bob. Haven't had the chance to listen to all of it yet maybe tomorrow. It must be a reissue because this one is on EMI's lable.

BTW meuge - Yes, that's the mood I've been in ever since I lost my job this past November. The company downsized but I was the only one let go....still hits home pretty hard because I loved the job and the people I worked with and for.

Tom, stay away from GORECKI's 3rd Symphony.

It is IMO, by far, THE most depressing, sad, sorrowful, lamenting thing that I have ever heard, yet it remains a unforgettable testiment to loss and grief that perhaps could not be made in any other form except music. I had to own it after I heard it, but I never listen to it. Sort of like having to own Shindler's List. It's the full-meal deal and you have to be in the mood.

Barber's piece, of course, is a must own, too. Also, Ravel's "Pavane pour un Defunct Infant" is another classic must have in the sorrow-filled music category.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2005 3:11:30 PM D-MAN wrote:

Tom, stay away from GORECKI's 3rd Symphony.

It is IMO, by far, THE most depressing, sad, sorrowful, lamenting thing that I have ever heard, yet it remains a unforgettable testiment to loss and grief that perhaps could not be made in any other form except music. I had to own it after I heard it, but I never listen to it. Sort of like having to own Shindler's List. It's the full-meal deal and you have to be in the mood.

----------------

D-MAN,

I love Gorecki's 3rd. When I first bought it I must've played it ten times that week. Which one do you have? Mine is the popular Upshaw/Zinman one. I've got to borrow my friend's CD of it done by Antoni Wit and the Polish Radio Symphony.

Average customer review at amazon.com for it is 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005J1C/002-4554389-1304853?v=glance

My most preferred version is by I Musici on an old Phillips LP. I and Gary compared it with many others including Toscanini, Stokowski, Bernstein, plus newer ones, and still thought it was the best-played and styled, and the most deeply felt. However, I Musici's (not I Musici of Montreal) appears not to be available today.

Leave it to me to be different...3.gif

I have an excellent transcription of Barber's "Adagio for Strings" for the organ:

"In a Quiet Cathedral": Todd Wilson, the Aeolian-Skinner organ, Cathedral of St. Philip, Atlanta, GA (1994 Delos International, Inc. - DE 3145, 2-disc set digitally recorded in Dolby Surround).

As far as pipe organ transcriptions of this famous 20th Century orchestral composition goes (which are very few), this recording is by far the very best. The sonics and 3-D clarity and imaging are absolutely superb, even in 2-channel stereo. Truely a worthy addition to anyone's "Adagio for Strings" collection IMHO.

----------------

On 1/29/2005 3:19:01 PM jt1stcav wrote:

the Aeolian-Skinner organ, Cathedral of St. Philip, Atlanta, GA

----------------

Jim,

about 15 years ago on one of my visits to Atlanta I visited the Cathedral of St. Philip and the organ was unlocked with the key in! I was the only one in the sanctuary... well.. what would you have done????? Of course you would have!

Of course I did !! 3.gif ... had a rockin good time too until the sextant asked me to leave (after nearly an hour)! 10.gif

I've been back to visit several times, but now they have 'tours' and the main sanctuary isn't open like it was that day. Needless to say, they don't let strangers jam on the instrument either.

good memory (sorry to hijack the thread),

Woo (wanting to jam on the theater instrument in the Fox Theatre!.. don't think it'll happen, though)

Forrest, never just walked up to an instrument and sat down to play it...Wow, what a feeling that must have been! Didn't the sextant enjoy your playing? It wasn't like you were vandalizing the organ or anything.

I may have never walked into an empty church and just freely played their pipe organ, but when I was a teen I was my dad's "gopher" on various organ servicing jobs (from minor tunings to full-on organ installations). After my dad would finish a particular job, he'd let me play the instrument while he'd prepare the invoice for services rendered. I've played on small chapel organs to well-known larger instruments, such as the Woolsey Hall Skinner at Yale University, the large Brombaugh tracker organ at Stanford University, the Trexler Memorial Ruffatti at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Orlando, the French classic style Austin organ at Trinity College Chapel in Hartford, not to mention several WurliTzers and a Marr & Colton installed at various residences (never in an actual theatre). That was always a treat for me...just wish I could've played well!

Okay, back to the topic...5.gif