Marantz Model 15 pilot bulbs?!

stimpy451

• 1 year later...

OMG!! I thought I was the only one on the planet to own Model 15's!! (retired) Soooo cool. True mono blocks bolted together behind a face plate. These are oldies. Made in USA. Saul's first SS power amp. Is there any demand for the old girls?

Many regrets about those amps. I was a Marantz fan, so you can guess what I traded in for the (up grade) 15's.[:'(] Second mistake, I kept the 15's & 14,.........and sold the 7T pre.[:'(] .........................I am going to be sick.

Now, the question is........How many of you own the Model 14?[:D]

Regards,

Terry

I've got a Fifteen that I've never hooked up. What's up with the pilot lights? I see 4 bulbs that look like they belong in a refrigerator and 2 very small 2-prong bulbs. The larger bulbs seem to light up red panels while the small bulbs are behind a pair of green dots between the panels. What do all these bulbs do  - anyone have a pic? Which of the bulbs are difficult to find? I also have a model 7 preamp and remember that when I was looking for a replacement pilot light, there were a few folks on eBay selling them for $10-15 each. I went by the local electronic store and bought a box of 'em for less than $4 and when was back in I noticed that they had re-filled the drawer. When I asked a salesperson about it, they said that the bulbs were either still in production or there were plenty of them at the suppliers warehouse. Any chance that the Dialco bulb's scarcity is a similar story?

I've got a Fifteen that I've never hooked up. What's up with the pilot lights? I see 4 bulbs that look like they belong in a refrigerator and 2 very small 2-prong bulbs. The larger bulbs seem to light up red panels while the small bulbs are behind a pair of green dots between the panels. What do all these bulbs do - anyone have a pic? Which of the bulbs are difficult to find? I also have a model 7 preamp and remember that when I was looking for a replacement pilot light, there were a few folks on eBay selling them for $10-15 each. I went by the local electronic store and bought a box of 'em for less than $4 and when was back in I noticed that they had re-filled the drawer. When I asked a salesperson about it, they said that the bulbs were either still in production or there were plenty of them at the suppliers warehouse. Any chance that the Dialco bulb's scarcity is a similar story?

I believe that both mono's have a green power light what the red light is for???

My understanding is the little green ones are the pilot lights. The big ones, which are, in fact automotive tail lights were used as limiters/fuses. The idea was, if the current began getting above acceptable limits, the lights would glow, and absorb some of the extra power, while alerting the operator to turn the darn thing down. If the overload continued, the light would burn out and shut down the channel. Pretty clever, actually, and it worked ok. The down side is, if the light burned out and some Nimrod replaced it with something else that fit in the socket, the amp could overload and self destruct - just like the one I'm listening to now did. $200 or so in new transistors.

By the way, Jim Bongiorno, the guy behind SAE, Ampzilla, and wo knows what else, has said the 15 is the most beautiful design he'd ever seen.

The 15 developed a not wholly undeserved reputation for being frail. It is, after all, from the "incunabula" period of solid state amps. But used within its limits, it is quite a nice sounding unit. The 14 is one half of a 15 - easy to do, as the 15s are two separate power amps - down to separate power cords. The 16 was a refinement of the 15, with more power and more sophisticated protection.

• 12 years later...
  • 10 months later...

A minor correction, fellow Marantz 14/15 fans.  In the early days of solid state silicon amps, engineers decided that a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) resistor in the signal path for each output transistor (OPT) would keep the transistor from operating outside of its safe operating area.  An incandescent filament is a PTC resistor.  Picking one with the right voltage and wattage rating was the secret.  In addition to the Marantz 14/15 amps, the idea was also used by Knight Kit in its KG-870 and probably some others.  Simply, the normal operating current of the amp is very low and there is not enough current to heat the light bulb.  As the current goes up, the light bulb begins to glow gently, and when operated very loud it will glow brightly.  The light bulb resistance goes up with current as the temperature increases, so there is a slight lag time, enough to prevent too quick of a reaction that might negatively impact normal dynamics of music.  Burned out bulbs are a sign of shorted OPTs, because the lamps should last forever unless blown by a bad OPT.  Without the bulbs the amp won't work.

• 3 years later...