2/3 of my CD's sound like crap

jpm

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JPM--

I just got a DAC (digital to analog converter) off eBay--its an Adcom GDA-600 for $200. I've noticed a very big difference in "flutter". I realise now that the DAC in my Denon CD player does not produce a smooth sound, and having this extra DAC made alot of difference. It bypasses/replaces the DAC in your CD player, and there is no complicated wiring involved--you only use one good digital cable out from the player to the DAC and two good cables from the DAC into the "CD" plugs on your amp/preamp.

Without the flutter, there is alot less of that muddy harsh sound. Still not perfect, but alot better--

----------------

On 1/29/2005 7:22:17 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

While we're on the subject of Mahler, I had the great pleasure of receiving a 1966 Horenstein (BBC Legends label) Mahler 9 today. Do you have that one? It is a goosebump-making performance. I bought it through amazon.com's Buy used function. The 2-CD set from amazon is $35.98. But there was a private vendor selling it through the Buy used link for just $12.99, and it was still sealed. It's nice to find a good bargain on great music.

----------------

The Mahler 9th is one of my favorites. From the NYC library, I got my hands on every version of the 9th that I could. The best I ever heard was the Barbirolli version that I owned. I bought it on 2 mono LPs when I was very young and again when Angel reissued it on CD. Recorded around 1965, its on one cd, in stereo, and extremely well recorded. I will try to score the the Horenstein for cheap as you did. Thanks for the recommendation.

BTW the used on Amazon is selling for $4.25 as of this morning. Do NOT let the low price fool you.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 1:09:53 PM jpm wrote:

Im serious. I have around 350 CD's that I've collected over the years and most sound really bright on my RF7's. Thank God I have bass and treble controls because I've started using them a lot. I seem to be rolling the trebel left of flat by 1/4. This has nothing to do with my amp. I have a neutral, if not slightly warm amp. This has to do with lousy recording studio work. We should expect better. Columbia Records tends to have the best sounding CD's, but not always.

I guess my rant is that after spending a ton of money on this hobby, and tweeking to the last detail, we're at the mercy of the dude that mixed the music we listen to. Somehow it just dosen't seem fair.

8.gif I'm calling the WAAAAAMMMBULANCE right away!!!

----------------

I have the somewhat smaller rf3 II's. Non -classical cd's sounded overly bright with my rotel While my jolida 302B (with 10 times more power than I use) has cut the harshness that had made longer listening sessions a once painful experience with my other amp. You said that it was a warm amp so it could be the way the music was mixed.

and made long

----------------

On 1/31/2005 9:42:40 AM dubai2000 wrote:

Max,

how could you
6.gif2.gif9.gif
?

Wolfram

----------------

What can I say? In my defence keeping track of Mahlers on vinyl isnt easy if you keep your box sets separated. In fact just about the only way I have of keeping track of what I own is the little PC spreadsheet database I knocked up and thank God I did!!

----------------

On 1/31/2005 9:57:45 AM Parrot wrote:

The first movement (which is 30+ minutes) of Mahler's Ninth is about the most beautiful piece of music ever written.

This is not only my opinion, but a fact. To anyone who disagrees, your mileage may vary, but if so, you're wrong.

----------------

If you are right Paul then it looks like I am in for a treat. Most beautiful ever? I guess that is in the eye of the beholder but I have a number of competitors to it...

2.gif