7199 Tubes, Anything But Sovtek,...Any suggestions?

126mhz

Hello All:

Everyone on board here have has given me some get information in the past so I thought I'd throw this one out and see what you guys threw back at me.

One of my Hi Fi systems is driven by a Dynaco ST70 and I need to find some decent 7199 tubes, (2) for replacements. (ANYTHING but SOVTEK tubes) I've not only had bad luck with Sovteks but I think they sound very poorly on my system.

For those who have suggestions please list a supplier and a rough cost so I might pursue your suggestion(s).

Thanks in advance,

Bill Woodward

They usually cost near $30 each for descent 7199's

Give Doug a call at www.dougstubes.com and tell him I sent you he should cut you some slack.

You can also buy them at Triode Electronics, AES and various other tube dealers they will all want around $30 each NOS.

The Sovtek's work but tend to be noisy buggers.

Craig

Hey 76Scala, nice to know you're in Forest Grove,...but are you saying you have RCA 7199s?

I'm going to pick up a new matched quad of EL34s (JJ) and a Rectifier today and while I'm at it I'm going to shake the bushes at another pal of mine's shop to see if I might be able to find a couple of 7199s I can come close to matching, if I run out of luck I' might just be willing to break down and go for the RCA 7199s,...IF you have them.

I appreciate the feedback everyone, this site has been a wealth of information for the kind of Hi Fi I want to be involved with.

Bill Woodward

I have tried bith JAN phillips and RCA 7199; both sound great, but in my amp at least (A MkIV) they did not sound all that much better than the sovtek version...perhaps slightly better in the treble region. they run $30-40 each. regards, tony

----------------

On 1/31/2005 9:33:38 AM 126mhz wrote:

Hey 76Scala, nice to know you're in Forest Grove,...but are you saying you have RCA 7199s?

I'm going to pick up a new matched quad of EL34s (JJ) and a Rectifier today and while I'm at it I'm going to shake the bushes at another pal of mine's shop to see if I might be able to find a couple of 7199s I can come close to matching, if I run out of luck I' might just be willing to break down and go for the RCA 7199s,...IF you have them.

I appreciate the feedback everyone, this site has been a wealth of information for the kind of Hi Fi I want to be involved with.

Bill Woodward

----------------

RCA's are what I use and like best in My ST70 with La Scala's.

Keith