Peculiar Weekend (long - very very very long)

maxg

Saturday morning SWMBO wakes with diahorrea and vomiting - what a great start to the weekend!! Ship SWMBO junior off to her Gran's and spend 90% of the weekend acting as nursemaid. Oh the joy!!

Still - not one to write off an entire 48 hours I did manage to get a few things done:

First off - I needed a new marble bass for the Clearaudio when it arrives. The old one is an exact fit for the Project and is therefore not wide enough.

Slipped out mid-morning on Saturday to the local stone mason's. Looking for a flat plate of marble around 24 inches by 18. He hunts around the yard and it just about resigned to cutting me a new piece when he spies a cancelled order 24 inch square.

This is a way better piece than I wanted and slightly bigger. It is pure white marble (the most expensive) with a beautfully cut bevelled edge. I ask the price - with some trepidation and he starts muttering and calculating in his head. I can see the cogs turn. Finally he says - 35 Euro. Wow. I would have paid 100. Done - before he can change his mind.

Nearly killed myself shleping it to the car. Just to add to the joys it had started to pour with rain and the marbles itself was fairly filthy. By the time I dumped it into the trunk I was covered in white powder mixed with water. Of course I was dressed all in black. What a sight!!

Got it home and transferred the old TT to the new base. Fits in rather well but the TT does look a little lost on this expanse of white.

Rest of saturday spent ferrying glasses of water and buckets of puke - do not ask!

Saturday evening Tony calls. He is off over to Christos Skaloumbakos (president of the Audiophile club of Athens) - go I want to tag along. Do I? He clears it with Christos and I with SWMBO. 10 minutes later we are off.

I hate being driven by Tony. He drives like a man possessed and close enough to whatever poor car is in front that I can usually read the time from the clock in their dashboard. Anyway we make it fine - shaken not stirred.

Christos has a truely bewildering system. You can get something of an idea of his setup at http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm but the site doesnt really do it justice.

Another friend was also there - Kops (not a policeman - that is the first syllable of his totally unpronouncable Greek surname). Kops also has a mega system and has just gotten back into vinyl. He was listening to a CD when we arrived that didnt sound half bad.

Christos and his wife welcomed up and we were lead in, sporting a rather tasty Apple pie we had picked up en-route. I had fallen out with Christos some time ago but peace has broken out so it was nice to see him again.

The first hour or so was spent listening to CD's many and various. None sounded as good to me as the first one on entering and each subsequent one seemed to suffer ever more digititus.

We had to wait a while to listen to the pickup. Christos had put new oil in the flywheel driving the table and it was running slow. Apparently when he had first put the oil in it wouldnt turn at all and there had been a major panic, but gradually it settled down and we could play it.

This was especially interesting for me as Christos runs the arm I have just ordered - the Clearaudio TQ-1 - although it is much modified in his case. Picked up a bunch of tips on the setup of the thing - and how to live with it. Should prove very useful!

Anyway - we got to listen to a lot of music. Tony managed to suffer through all the classical recordings I played and I, in return, bore the Jazz soically.

There are some things this system does better than anything else I have ever heard. Even on classical - the strongpoint of my system it was quite startling at times. Christos has the speakers too close together for my liking - and slightly too toed in - but it is his system and his taste.

The result is a very deep, layered soundstage that seems to go on for ever, but the width isnt there and there is a consequent slightly confined feel to the sound.

Sitting close up to the system - with the speakers acting like nearfield monitors is a mind-blowing experience. The detail is astounding - especially in the bass. I think each speaker has something like 9 drivers in the bass units alone - powered of course and can go as low as 16 Hz. Combine that bass with the sheer height of the speakers and it is truely a wall of sound that confronts you - or rather - not a wall - a vista, with no sense of there being 2 sources to the music. Total disappearance of the speakers - incredible.

I had read previously of Chirstos' latest changes and upgrades to his system and taken them with something of a pinch of salt. I could not imagine that further removing the motor by introducing a flywheel in the middle would possibly make such a difference. We were already dealing with a serious setup - massive platter, buckets of isolation and well separated motor but he really has taken it to a new level. The proof of this, to me, is not simply that it sounds far better than I remembered - I dont trust my audio memory that much. The proof is the gulf between his digital and his analogue sound. Previously it was a small lake - now it is an ocean! That is a very high end digital system he has - albeit somewhat dated now but his analogue is ...well..lets put it like this: For certain pieces of music I would say this system has no peer.

For example:

Rimsky-Korsakov

Scheherazade

Chicago Symphony

Fritz Reiner

RCA Victor Red Seal

LSC-2446

US

Living Stereo

This is a record I too own - and have listened to many times, but on Chirstos' system it is in another world. It is a piece that goes from crashing creshendo's to the lightest gentle solo and back, placing huge demands on all parts of the system. I could listen to it on this system simply for ever.

Getting the scale of the piece for the creshendo's aint easy on a system - retaining it whilst a lone flute plays should be impossible. This system does it. Simple as that!

Sonically it is not perfect, however, although this doesnt make a jot of difference to the enjoyment of listening, and there are parts - even of the Scherheredade that I think I prefer on my own humble offering. In particular I sense a woodier sound to strings on my system, and, as ever, I dont think anything portrays the tone of brass instruments quite as well as a horn, but that aside, and in all other respects this is a system to be measured against.

Outside of my own sphere of music the Jazz was very impressive. I have never heard a double bass sound that good in my entire life - including live events!

Just for the record we were listening to:

RAY BROWN/SOULAR ENERGY 180g 2LP (RED)

Elusive disc have it in stock and have this to say about it:

"The Ray Brown Trio featuring Gene Harris "Soular Energy" is available on Pure Audiophile Records for a short time only. Ray Brown, Gene Harris, and Gerryck King are spectacular in this 1984 recording. Red Holloway (tenor sax) and a rare appearance by the great Emily Remler (guitar) round out the original musicians.

This will be the consummate issue of this famous release. Stan Ricker plays the bass to this day, and is a big fan of Ray Brown. It was a special situation to be able to have him half-speed master this LP for us, on HQ-180 gram colored (Red) virgin vinyl, and pressed at RTI. They are extremely limited and individually numbered, in gatefold jackets. It will be the first of a rare special series of LPs called "Lab Reference Series".

We went to the original session tapes and came up with 3 alternate takes that are fantastic! They were mixed by Phil Edwards (2002) at PER just like the original session. Another track (CC Rider) was added as a bonus and to equal out the 4 sides of this incredible 2-LP set. Don't miss this one! - Production Notes

Musicians: Ray Brown, bass; Gene Harris, piano; Gerryck King, ds; Red Holloway, tenor sax; Emily Remler, guitar.

Selections:

1. Exactly Like You

2. Cry Me a River

3. Teach Me Tonight

4. Take the "A" Train

5. Mistreated But Undefeated Blues

6. That's All

7. Easy Does It

8. Sweet Georgia Brown

Bonus Tracks

9. Mistreated But Undefeated Blues

10. Cry Me A River

11. Take the 'A' Train

12. CC Rider "

I am no Jazz critic but this sounded damn good to me. Tony flipped his lid and has already ordered it.

Anyway the visit finally culminated in a power cut - which is probably the only way Christos was going to get us out of his house. He has a stunning aray of vinyl to go with his system - almost entirely audiophile recordings. I was steadily working my way through them. I had only just found his collection of some 50 or 60 Japanese London audiophile pressings when the power went, but I was fortunate enough to hear Beethoven's sixth / Montreux.

Those of you that know me should be fully aware of the weakness I have for the Montreux. This is not the same recording as mine (which is an original Mono Red Seal) but it has all the delicacy of touch of mine with the bonus of brilliantly crafted stereo sound. Gentleman (and the ocasional lady) I was undone by it.

Visiting Christos' house is somewhat akin to going to the Opera - I always feel I should be in black tie. For him it may be an opportunity for casual listening - for others it is an event, an opportunity to see one man's vision made reality.

One final point (promise). Christos runs the Clearaudio Insider Reference cartridge. You do not want to know what one of those costs. I have heard many say that the Shelter 901 I run is a better cartridge. Whilst that is a lovely thing to hear about something you own I would like to put it on record that anyone with this opinion is under the influence of some very hard drugs. As ever matching of components comes to the fore here - but I am positive that whatever anyone could ever do to, or with a Shelter it would fall some way short of this. The insider seems oblivious to surface imperfections and gets more out of the groove than anything I have ever come across - even including the ZYX cartridge - which I feel superior to the 901 in most respects. I am still yet to hear the Shelter 90X but it would have a serious job to go to better the Clearaudio.

Ok that is it for now. Did you make it all the way through? There is more but maybe I will hold back and see if anyone responds before unleashing the deluge of further ravings.

Max,

I just want to say thanks to you and Tony for the wonderfull evening and i just want to admit (i am always saying that) that the more i grow old, the more i realise that i know nothing about Hi Fi (some call it High End)...

Reason is that i moved my left speaker 21 cm to the wall (maximum i could go) and you were damn, damn, damn... right. (I thought Genesis were sounding better not far away each other, due to side reflections...)

For soundstage width, 21cm equaled to... well..., almost 21m (for classical music...) and still, speakers are completelly absent... and still my 3 kids can pass through, between the left speaker and the side wall safely... they are grown up now)

I say no more but thanks...

I am SO pleased. It is a rare thing when I am right on anything in audio - but I do have a knack with speaker placement sometimes.

If you fancy a little bit more experimentation you might want to try adjusting the toe-in angle a touch. I am not sure about this now that they are further apart - but it is often an alternative to moving them and may further expand the soundstage. Nearfield must be bewildering now!

I didnt mention it either during the evening or in the above post but the clue that the position was not ideal came from the Amused to Death recording.

That Q-sound system does staggering things when the speakers are properly placed (and in phase of course). In the opening track we listened to I could not get the speaking voice to appear more than about 90 degrees away from the centre stage. On my system it is about 160 - in other words almost directly behind you.

On a perfectly placed system in an ideal room 180 is possible. I am limited by a column that supports the ceiling - you are not. One day we will re-run the record and see how close you are!

Damn - I bet it sounds good now. Like I said - REALLY REALLY PLEASED!

Good for you, Max! I am unique in my family, for being the only one to have worn the vomit of every other person (wife, 2 daughters). I am also the, uh, "clean-up guy" during, shall we say, flu season. I feel your pain.

I am surprised there is any marble left in Athens. Didin't they use it all up on statues 'n' stuff? Maybe it's imported from China. Anyway, around these parts, one can sometimes score small stone slabs from countertop fabricators. Often times, they'll have sink cut-outs that are perfect for uses like yours. I've even toyed with the idea of making racks out of the stuff. Of course, the labor to accurately size and drill and polish the slabs would not be cheap.

"Good for you, Max! I am unique in my family, for being the only one to have worn the vomit of every other person (wife, 2 daughters). I am also the, uh, "clean-up guy" during, shall we say, flu season. I feel your pain."

1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs - need I say more!

I am surprised there is any marble left in Athens. Didin't they use it all up on statues 'n' stuff? Maybe it's imported from China. Anyway, around these parts, one can sometimes score small stone slabs from countertop fabricators. Often times, they'll have sink cut-outs that are perfect for uses like yours. I've even toyed with the idea of making racks out of the stuff. Of course, the labor to accurately size and drill and polish the slabs would not be cheap.

Clever idea - but we are not running short of Marble just yet. I dont know what the proportion is but I guess something like 10% of Greece's land mass is marble. Lots to go around. Pics will follow once the TT arrives.

Max,

thanks for sharing. I guess in a way I AM glad that there isn't anybody living close by, whose system makes me wish I had the means to rush out and spend....(which I do too often, anyway...and that's just from reading about gear...LOL).

OTOH it must be quite instructive and obviously enjoyable to compare recordings one knows being played on such equipment as can be found in Christos' room. So in that sense too bad Greece is not round the corner.

Wolfram

----------------

On 1/31/2005 10:07:00 AM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 1/31/2005 9:31:30 AM maxg wrote:

I dont know what the proportion is but I guess something like 10% of Greece's land mass is marble.

----------------

I don't think any turntable in Greece should need a base then.

----------------

No - they just float in the air above your system. its called marbelous levitation.

Max,

Splendidly written. Your friend Christos has a system to be envied by all. Although I'm still in the infant stages of this hobby, think I'll pop round to the local stone center (about 1 km from my home) and pick up a couple marble slabs. One for under turntable, one to weigh down the sub. Can't hurt, right?

Michael

What a small world! The Reiner Scheherazade was just released in the second batch of RCA Living Stereo SACDs, and I bought it last week. A great performance.

This one features three channel playback of the original three-track recording. In addition, the stereo SACD layer has a new stereo mix and the CD layer has the mix made for the earlier CD release.

Paul,

Do you have a copy of the LP? It's one of the best LS LPs I've heard. I have the 200 gram re-issue and I've also heard the original at Larry's. I'll have to get the SACD and compare. I didn't realize it came out already. $8.99 at Tower Records. Can't NOT buy it at that price. It's a great performance in any format!

No, I don't have that particular LP, but I have several other versions. It makes frequent appearances at thrift shops.

By the way, the SACD should not sound like the LP. When the LP was made, they would have used a tube tape deck for playback, a tube compressor, and a tube amp for cutting the records. All those tube steps added their sonic signatures.

----------------

On 1/31/2005 2:13:46 PM Parrot wrote:

No, I don't have that particular LP, but I have several other versions. It makes frequent appearances at thrift shops.

By the way, the SACD should not sound like the LP. When the LP was made, they would have used a tube tape deck for playback, a tube compressor, and a tube amp for cutting the records. All those tube steps added their sonic signatures.

----------------

Good. That makes it more interesting. I can try it in both 2-channel and in 3-channel on my horribly mismatched multi-channel system using a pathetically inadequate Home Theater receiver.1.gif

Didn't know a 'Suite' version exists as well....one of Beecham's 'ideas'? Yes, I have got his recording of the complete score. Mine is a vinyl copy, but I know it has been reissued on CD (I think in EMI's 'Recording of the Century' series). It was my first recording of the work, so my ears are a bit biased, still, I shall be getting the Reiner SACD as well 3.gif .

Wolfram