Optical cable Question

kktvbob

What is the max lenght you can run a optical cable? I need to run a 20-25 ft. optical to hook up my computer to my ht system. I will also be hooking up the hd video to the 50" lcd. The video is not a problem as you can run up to 200 ft. after that their is to much signal loss. I'm looking to play video games on the big screen. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

a long digital co-ax cable make takes its toll for a real long run with resistance, but i know that they make optical cable extenders i would look into those you could probably get one from rat shack, but bluejeans cable may be able to make something i am not sure if they will make optical cable

You should be able to get a 20' optical cable to work if there are not too many bends. 25' is about the upper limit using the low power LEDs used in common components.

I have heard of people running hundreds of feet of standard 75ohm wire like RG-6 or RG-59 for Coax. 20-25 feet should be no problem at all.

JM

I thought the whole idea of fiber optics was that they were virtually lossless. Shouldn't the light from the weakest LED's travel far over 25 feet in a closed line?

----------------

On 2/2/2005 12:27:34 AM j-malotky wrote:

You should be able to get a 20' optical cable to work if there are not too many bends. 25' is about the upper limit using the low power LEDs used in common components.

----------------

You should be OK at the 20 -30 feet range. You do have to remember that fiber is not 'lossless' - there is a degredation of the signal as the light refracts on impurities in the glass and through radius of the bends - although it is pretty darn clean in comparison to the standard electron agitation used with metal conductors. The lightwave engine is also a culprit in how tolerant (read this to mean how well it averages the signal degredation) the wave decoder is in relation to the method of encoding employed by the engine. These are usually issues that show up a greater distances than we deal with in a home.