Klipsch in Apartment - Recommendations?

jmdshort

Hi all..

Current ProMedia owner looking to upgrade my current "home theater". Not only am I looking to get a new TV and Receiver... but new speakers as well.

I have, what I think are, two limitations...

1) I live in an apartment... so I can't get something that will easily cause noise violations.

2) My HT area is kinda small; I sit about 8 feet away from the TV with the back wall about 2-4 feet behind that.

Do you guys have any thoughts on what type of speakers I should look at? I would prefer a system rather than getting individual components, if possible.

In addition, what kinda of recommendation do you have for receivers?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS - In terms of $, I am looking to spend no more than $ 2,500 (including the TV). I have been looking at the Sony KD-30XS955 ... however, the KD-34XBR960 looks great as well (but is about $800 more expensive).

First of all, get to know your neighbours, and ask them to let you know if you are bothering them with the music or movies. Give them your phone number, so that they may contact you, and be nice. Try to find out what times are good for turning up the system to a moderate enjoyable level.

Respect your neighbours, and they shall respect you.

Mike,

Thanks for the replies. I should of been a little clearer... The ProMedias are on my computer. I've never used them for Home Theater.

As for my neighbors, I know some of them... and have definintely not had any problems with noise in the past. I just know that, with better quality speakers, there is the added "risk" for more noise.

I'll look into the Cinema 6/8 set - Do you have a receiver recommendation?

Jeff

you know it just does not matter what size speakers you use, read my sig, and i live in a townhome, with similar size restrictions, and never have complaints from neighbors, just need a little common sense, but you cant use a sub, those pesky lfe's like to wander into neighbors house;s and make then irritated, so in short dont buy the system to fit your current needs, buy exactly what you want, for your future, and use a little common sense and respect your neighbors, even tiny speakers have the potential to irritate your neighbors, but tiny will also irritate you

The television you want, looks like it is in the $1150 dollar range. That doesn't leave much $$ room for the receiver then, even if you look at the Cinema 6 speaker set. You can take a look at this LINK , that shows test results for various receivers.

You might be able to get a dealer floor model ( last years model ) for a reduced price when it comes time for the new models to hit the shelf. I would recommend that you read quite a bit, and also go to a dealer so that you can actually try them in person. Some remotes are better laid out, some have features like automatic room correction ( through the use of a microphone ), and other nice features.

The Marantz Sr5400 tested well in december 2003, you might find this on close out, the Nad T752 tested well in december 2003, and the Denon Avr2803 ( july / aug 2003 )also tested quite well.

I agree that the subs often invade your neighbors. If you really must have one.....move to a house. Don't know what state or city you're in, or country for that matter, but the new bass lines in popular music and HT can cost you money if there are local ordinances. (Commonly called noise ordinances.) Most cities and towns have them. Especially near ritzy neighborhoods and colleges. (So the town folks have a way of shutting down the all night parties.) Where I live (and work) the officer doesn't even have to take a meter reading. If he can hear it outside your apt or from your neighbors, "that'll be $50,please." Some of these fines are civil, meaning they can't be appealed(taken to court). If you don't pay, it's turned over to a collection agency. That can affect your credit. Enough complaints to your landlord about loud noise can also get you evicted. Another thing to affect your credit. Read the fine print of your lease. And I don't recommend arguing with law enforcement when they knock on your door. Don't give them a reason to take away your freedom. There is a Common Law in some states for Breach of the Peace. An arrestable offense.(in NC) He, or she, for that matter, can make it up as they go. The ones that go in front of a judge can REALLY cost ya. Not saying I agree with all of this, but that's the way it is. 2.gif

I also live in an apartment. I would suggest the synergy line. For a couple of reasons. Your listening area is relatively small, and the synergy's would be almost perfect for your budget. I have the synergy 2 series, with a rw10 sub. I have not yet been told to turn down the volume, with respects to the neighbors. I don't turn the sub up too loud, and don't even have my system on after 9. And another thing is that Best Buy gives you 30 days to return it for whatever reason. so if you don't like the sound, just take it back. Hope this helps

I would recommend the KLF-20s for your mains and Midsize Klipsch Center channel. But, since you can't get the KLF series anymore, go with the Synergy from Best Buy. They sound fantastic for the price!

How can I get Klipsch to start making the KLF 20s again as a legend product? Any ideas anyone?

Guest Anonymous

the refrence seiries sats are really nice, otherwise i would reccomend book shelf speakers either synergy or refrence if it is in your budget for that small room

Acoustically, use a non-adjoining room and shut the door or if an adjoining room, at least put your speakers on a non-adjoining wall, preferably brick! Some apts have double brick or block firewalls between units and this helps considerably, but if you have a sub or rear firing ports or passives on your speakers, it's going to move the wall a bit.

Observe normal listening hours- TURN IT DOWN during your neighbors dinner hour at a reasonable time in the evening.

Keep windows shut if cranking it in spring/fall or sound will travel to buildings across the courtyard. Sound travels very freely outdoors.

Heavy curtains and furniture will go a long way towards taming lawsuits.

Perhaps ask this questions in Architectural area. They might have some ideas for dampening vibrations that would not be permanent additions to the building.

But I like the 'buy a house' suggestion. Know its mega $$ in some areas, but hey, it's the American Dream. If you ever want to get anywhere in this country, you've got to buy, not rent. (unless you have a very mobile job situation, etc.)

Michael just my .02- I'm on two acres- CRANK IT UP!