Tractrix squawker horn for the Belle and Khorn

I love it. So I therefore won't use your bracket. I will flush mount the Trachorn and put the K77 beside it vertically. I prefer this set up as well.

ARE YOU TELLING ME THE OFFICIAL MOUTH MEASUREMENTS ARE 18 INCHES X 7.920 INCHES. THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN YOUR SCHEMATIC ON THE WEBSITE. YOU TELL ME THIS IS TRUE, I'M GONNA START CUTTIN'! SERIOUSLY!

jc

One question about your lastest schematic. What is the dotted line?

schematic2.jpg

post-16499-13819261640414_thumb.jpg

jc,

The dotted line is size of the cutout YOUR draw suggested. The dimensions give on my web site are the MAXIMUM size. It will be made to be slightly smaller. The measurements in the drawing I posted above is how the actual drawing is now. Martinelli has increased the thickness of the top and bottom plates. This will casue some shanges, but not to the maximum dimensions. These are based on the size of the Klipschorn top section where it MUST be made to fit. Anything that is larger than 18 X 8.25 Inch will be shaved down. The mounting flanges will be no more than 3/4 inch beyond the maximum dimensions of the mounting hole above and below.

DO NOT start cutting any woodwork yet! The thing is still in the "first production prototype" stage. Anything could happen!

Assume 7.92 Inch is simply 8 Inches.

Al K.

I have an issue with mounting the K-77 vertically. Uhm, it ain't designed to work that way. In fact, I don't like the side by side configurations regardless of the tweeter employed. Drivers should be mounted vertically, on-axis with each other. I know, I'm always peeing in everyone's Cheerios.

I agree with Dean on this, IMO regardless of the tweeter used, especially in a La Scala it should be mounted horizontally, on top of the cabinet, and for aesthetic purposes, in an enclosure all its. But regardless of the speaker/tweeter you put it in keep it centered on axis.

Guys,

Sorry to disagree, but ElectroVoice intended for the T-35 to be mounted VERTICALLY, just as PWK did on the early Cornwall back in the "mono" days. It was moved horizontal becasue of the Left / right symmetry issue when stereo became popular. The dispersion at it's lower end is better vertically. At 6KHz, it makes no difference. In the case of my grill frame, all you need to do is turn the entire thing up-side-down and you will have one tweeter on the left and the other on the right if you like. Additionally, the tweeter brackets I am supplying will allow the K77 to be mounted flush with the surface no matter if it's the old version or the later "Z-bracket" mounting.

I have been listening to 3 Belles with the tweeters all on the right now for a long time and the stereo image is superbe! If you stick you head a foot in front of the speaker you can notice that the highs are coming more from the right. It's no big deal!

BTW: Martonelli emailed me this moring (March 31) to say he expects to have the first Trachorn sample on its way to me this week end!

Al K.

Al,

As you know, I won't need a lot of the stuff you include with the Trachorn such as grill and baffle. However, you will include a "z bracket" or something similar? I do need this to mount my K-77 vertically and flush.

Already have my bass bins built. Just waitin' on you man for the HF section measurements.

jc

JW- to change decimals to fractions, just multiply, so the fractional part of the dimension Al is giving you - .92x32(for 32nds, probably the best you can measure and cut in wood) = 29.44/32, so just shy of 30/32 or 15/16 would be your woodworkers dimension.

Michael

Michael,

Just got off the horn with klipsch. They have 8 Z-brackets on the shelf. I ordered 4 of them.

I wan't to do this because the trachorn will be flush...just to stay consistent.

That fraction thing is a bear. I hope I can just use 8 inches. Since it won't be inside a cabinet, I don't have top worry about an "airtight seal".

jc

Guys,

Here's a segment form an ElectroVoice flyer. Note the T35 is shown vertically. I have never seen it shown any other way by ElectrVoice. Note to it is intended for 3500 Hz and up. At 6000 Hz it doesn't matter how you mount it!

Klipsch moved it horizontal so there would be no problem with customers concerned about a left and a right speaker. Up top it was totally symmetrical.

The tweeter brackets I will supply will be specifically for the grill frame I will provide. It won't be good for any other application. It will come with the replacement grill frame for the Khorn and Belle only.

I'll post the drawings for it shortly.

AL K.

post-2934-13819261642214_thumb.jpg

"Here's a segment form an ElectroVoice flyer. Note the T35 is shown vertically. I have never seen it shown any other way by ElectrVoice. Note to it is intended for 3500 Hz and up. At 6000 Hz it doesn't matter how you mount it!

Klipsch moved it horizontal so there would be no problem with customers concerned about a left and a right speaker. Up top it was totally symmetrical."

Al, is that the same situation for the Squawker horn? I've got a pair each of horizontal and vertical Cornwalls and havent' ever seen posted the dispersion characteristics of the K700 Horn. I'm thinking put the widest dispersion pair for my rears, tightest pattern up front, but don't know which is which. Or are they so close that it doesn't matter? Why did PWK change from Vert to Horizontal, then occasionally put out a pair of vertical Cornwalls?

Thanks,

Michael

Guys,

Here's the tweeter mounting scheme. It will be a flat panel with a rectangular hole to pass the K77 horn through. The Z bracket mounting will just screw in from the back just as Klipsch mounted it. The older K77 will have a "C" shaped spacer that will go between the tweeter and the flat panel to hold it. The grill frame is the two horizontal 3/4 square bars shown.

Mike,

No.. The squawker horn is NOT a defraction horn. The T35 aparently uses defraction below 6000 Hz.

post-2934-13819261642444_thumb.gif

I know this is terribly off-topic, but why did PWK make both Vertical and Horizontal Cornwalls. Surely the K700 horn had better dispersion in one plane than in another? Or did it? Perhaps the difference was negligible so it didn't really matter? I don't think Klipsch could have made the change solely for the manufacturing ease of not having to create and track mirror imaged pairs, because there are many later verticals made after the main assembly line was switched to horizontal. So which is best?

Likewise with the T35/K77- if vertical is best, how 'bad' is the dispersion when the tweeter is placed in the alternate/horizontal direction. I mean, even the Industrial LaScala, purpose-built to be a PA cabinet where dispersion is critical, has the K77 'improperly' positioned????

But of course, that's just another crazy Cornwall tale...

Michael