Tractrix squawker horn for the Belle and Khorn

Just a suggestion, Al. You could leave the horn unpainted and let the customer paint it whatever color he wants. That would make it cheaper for you to make AND SELL, and your customers would have some flexibility and the joy of painting the inside of the horn.

Otherwise, my point of view is the same as The Stones: "Paint It Black."

Al,

That looks wonderful. I'm glad you are choosing black. Is this first production going to be like the rest? Hate to keep buggin you about this but what are the mouth dimensions? If it is still not final....ok....i'll wait longer.

So by looking at the picture, I see that adapters for the drivers will bolt on. Do you have a picture of the K-55 adapter? Will the adapter bolt on the throat and then the driver "screw" onto the adapter?

jc

I have a question, the horn seems to have two strips that run on the top and bottom faces, could that cause diffraction problems since the exit of the wave form will not be "smooth" on the top and bottom face? regards, tony

JC,

The mounting hole size should be the same as I have outlined earlier. It HAS TO be no biger than that or it won't fit in the Khorn!

Dean,

I like the shellac idea too. I'll suggest it to Martinelli.

Tony,

The strips you see are 3/4 inch back from the mouth. These will fasten to BACK of the grill cloth frame. The mouth will be flush with the front of the frame and will just touch the grill cloth.

AL K.

Al -

Looks like your project is coming together nicely.

It also looks like this topic is on track to set a record for number of views (although I am sure that some of us keep coming back to the topic multiple times for the latest information).

Can't wait to "hear" testing and listening results.

Ray

Ray,

Yep.. The forst prototype should be in here next week. I will do some instrument tests on it first. The Belle grill frame will be next to verify the fit in the Belle. Then two more for me followed by two for the Khorn which will be final test. That pair will be evaluated by my symphony orchestra quior memeber "expert"!

Al K.

I apologize for my lateness to this thread, however - I do have a tardy slip so I hope that will suffice.1.gif

First of all, what a really cool project! Although it's not something I need (at least not at this time), I'm really fascinated by it. I'm also humbled by what you guys are capable of doing and your knowledge. No....actually, I think stuff like this makes me feel really stupid. Maybe THAT'S the reason I don't hang out in some forums.5.gif

Anyhow, FWIW and for those who care....as evidenced by the eMachineShop.com website, CNC machine parts are no longer "exclusive" or "high tech". Materials science and high speed machining technology has driven the cost of machine parts waaaaay down. In fact, the software is just about in place that would eliminate that $90K/year CNC programmer. Based on "rules" and a vast memory of tool movements, the machine tool scans in 3D whatever object you want to make, auto-creates the 3D model & program, and dispenses that info to the CNC machining center. Naturally, it can also do this from a 3D drawing (model). The resulting cost drop rolls down into mold tooling as well.

And speaking of molded parts, another option would be to make the horn from so-called pre-preg carbon graphite. This eliminates mixing/applying resins or "chopper guns" and gives a very fine looking product. Pre-preg cloth has the bonding resin impregnated into it and is only activated under heat and or pressure. There's even so-called room temp cure pre-preg.

Anyhow, good luck with your project/product Al.

Tom