Robert Randolph and The Family Band..Wow!!

lynnm

I had never heard of Robert Randolph before tonight but I tuned into Austin City Limits on PBS purely on spec and wound up being stunned!

Robert is one hell of a guitarist in his own right and the guest steel guitarists that he featured were amazing to watch and hear.

Another hole in my collection to fill!

If you have not yet discovered this artist do yourself a favour and give him a listen. It is difficult to clearly classify his style as his playing encompasses everything from Rock,Mississipi Blues,New Orleans Jazz and even a little Don Ho although he seems to lean more toward an early rockabilly/southern gospel flavour.

They smoke. They opened for Dave Matthews in PGB this summer, but I caught them at Mr. Smalls last spring. It's a great venue, an old church and rectory converted into a concert hall, recording studio and rooms for artists to stay while recording, Ryan Adams stayed there last year.

Robert Randolph gained a big following at the grammy's last year when they performed in a funk collaboration with earth wind and fire and P-funk. Gotta see them live