Fiesta Ware

TBrennan

Hey Tom - we got some of that stuff. Wife bought it shortly after we moved into our new home. And being the involved, interested husband that I am, I had no idea that's what it was called until now.15.gif

Shhhhhhh....please don't tell her I said that.

WHAP!!!

Owwwww.....that hurt. How long you been standing there? 14.gif

Tom

ps: Who's electronic drum kit is that in the background?

I remember my grandmother having lots of that stuff a few years ago Tom. If I can remember it from back then, I know you can too.

Funny how important and enjoyable a meal with the family was just a few years ago. Everyone takes food on the table for granted these days.

Keith

----------------

On 2/9/2005 5:32:16 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

In a related vein, my wife and I collect Red Wing crocks. No pics, but I think at last count we had 11 or 12, the biggest a 30 gallon, along with a water cooler.

Nice looking Fiesta ware though.

----------------

Rochester Red Wings Baseball team?

Some friends of ours have a 50(?) gallon, came out of a morgue years ago. I don't remember all the details, but supposedly years ago the morgue used to keep it full of acid and place bones in it to dissolve them. I'm sure these things have been used for all sorts of odd things considering their age.

The city of Red Wing is on the Mississippi River in southern Minnesota, and also the home of the pottery which opened in like 1880-90, closed in the 40's, I think. They reopened a small facility a few years ago and are doing reproductions. The old stuff is pretty popular around here, but seems the further away from MN you get the less you see of it.

Kinda neat that all the stuff we have is over 50-60 years old.

p.s. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. 15.gif

At least the "New" Fiestaware won't make you glow in the dark. The older stuff (reds/oranges/yellow) had traces of Uranium and Lead...

We were using castoff stuff in college, and I can report little or no effects in my life now, so it probably doesn't matter...dosent mater, doenotmorte, mortelessnow..

Frankly, I think the rest of the chemicals we ingested neutralized the bad stuff... One must always maintain a balanced chemical diet.3.gif

I chime in and state my glass passion! One day at band camp err one day at the old folks home auction I bought a set of fiesta ware, I did not know what it was but liked it anyway, that was before it was popular. Like a eight piece set with all the colors, way cool. But I was already into depression ware glass ended up with a mess of the green stuff. I like that the most. I used to drive limo in St Louis and would stop at antique stores and pick up pieces every once in a while. I got gravy boats, cake platters, float glasses all in green. There are lots of book dealers in St. Louis, and I ended up buying allot of literature, hardback, pre 50,s. Now I have a good collection. Now that I am back in Alaska I am going to hand cannons.

Not to steal Tom's thread entirely but since some knowledgeable glass person may be attracted to this thread I'll ask:

Months ago I was stumbling around in deep woods miles form civilization. I ran across an old trash pile near what was apparently an old home place. I saw a few old brown glass bottles and picked up one of them. It is a 1/8 pint brown glass flask. There are numerical markings on the bottom. The most notable markings are near the top center of the bottle horizontal to the rounded shoulders of the flask. The is a circle centered under the neck about the size of a dime. Inside that circle is a figure that looks like a sitting animal with wings. Also inside that circle is a shield with the letter H, also a symbol the shape of a pretzle.

Anyone know anything about old glass, or where to find info. I'm not really too concerned about the flask, I'm really wondering if it would be OK to drink the contents.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Keith