Should I expect- blow up??

colterphoto1

Based on several of the threads recently, including one horrendous customer service story in the Home Theatre Forum, should I expect my Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer to blow up anytime soon.

I'm pretty happy with it so far and it seems enough sub to compliment my 4 (soon to be 5) Cornwalls. Hey with 5- 15"woofers pumping away, how much sub do you NEED?

It seems that there is a horrible amount of failures of Klipsch subs and mine is out of warranty. Just wondering if the group concensus would be to sell it while it still works and purchase something else. Isnt' it a bit of self-destruct mechanism, putting sensitive electronic components in the same box that is vibrating to beat the band? Never seemed like a good design philosophy to me. Maybe Klipsch got it right with their latest offering of dual subs and a massive amp, but it's too rich for me.

Maybe I'll just dig out the Crown 1200 and 18" JBL cabinet. That should do it!

Michael

Horrendous amount of Kipsch subs going bad! I have three RSW's and had two KSW in the past none had any problems.

Of all the subs I had and have,none had any problems(the lemon LF10 was borrowed from the store so it was not MY sub).Yes the LF10 had audible air leaks and amp clipping problems.

My KSW 12 works great for what it is, the only problem being the port tube came loose. Now my RSW 12 is another story, it spent more time at the dealer than in my home and he had to swap it out with a new one. The part required to fix my original RSW was on back order for 2+ months when I got my new sub.

As soon as I can save a few dollars up, I will be looking at SVS subs.

The amount of failures that are posted about on here represent a very small fraction of the amount of units that are shipped and put into use. Maybe someone from Klipsch can release a figure on the number of RSW-10, 12, and 15's shipped in a month, or the total for an entire year.

The squeeky wheel always gets the attention, not the day in, day out usage that get recognition. Exactly how many 30, 40 and 50 year old speakers that you know of, other than Klipsch that sill work perfectly with no failures, rotted surrounds, burned voice coils, etc?

Take a look at the legend series, there was a couple of problems with adhesive joints coming loose, but the company rectified the problem for the owners. The reference series as well as the synergy have suffered relatively few failures in service, other than all out abuse.

The point is that all companies have some problems, and there is no perfect component that will work all the time, without failure. Even expensive equipment sometimes fails for no reason at all.

We live in a global economy, where products are outsourced. How many companies do you know use 100% components that are made, packaged, labeled, etc in america for instance. For example if you look at the inside of an amplifier, does it have capacitors that are made in america? Probably not.

My KSW 12 works great for what it is, the only problem being the port tube came loose.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you still have the KSW, I would highly suggest getting a strong epoxy to re-attach the carboard tube to the plastic port.

I had the same problem with my KSW-15. And no, it wasn't a defect in the unit. I bought it in "mint" condition on ebay. Had a couple of banged up corners, scratches, and the port tube came loose after 5 minutes of use. The seller had tried fixing it with hot glue & masking tape. Live and learn...

Anyway, I eventually picked up some epoxy at Walgreens that was made for gardening tools (rakes & such). Pretty strong stuff. Haven't had any problems since.

I have been very happy with my RSW15 for 10+ months now, knock on wood. Really compliments the RF7s and its by far the best sounding/feeling sub I have owned and I am very happy with it, I hope that remains true. To be honest I don't have as much experiance with all varied equipment as other forum members, if I like somthing I tend to stick with it for a long time. It took me 10 years to swap every thing piece out this past time. I have gone through a few more subs than say my last pair of main speakers and I think its pretty common. Not that subs should fall apart, amps die, etc per other horror stories you hear, I just think they over the long run take the brunt of the wear and tear. Its one reason I shy away from buying subs used and I would not think they would hold thier value as well as main speakers because if it. If you enjoy it I say stick with it. Good luck either way

Thanks for the inputs gang. Actually Joe Schmoe, I was trying to get some POSITIVE feedback on Klipsch Subwoofers in way of apology to Amy for being such an arse. Far be it from me to badmouth Klipsch, I'm really quite the fan (ask IndyKlipschFan). Amoung my arsenal are 5 x Cornwall, 4x RB5, 2x RB3, 8x ksb1.1, numerous center channels and in-wall speakers. Need I say more.

Michael Hurd nailed my purpose right away. Many of us do tend to see the Forum as a complaint department, particularly that last nasty one (wherein the end consumer is receiving a NEW SUB from KLIPSCH). As Michael Hurd so deftly pointed out, the percentage of happy sub consumers is difficult to note from the tone of a few who have amps blow out, port tubes disassemble or the occasional really loud warranty problem.

So this thread is about LOVE. Perhaps I gave a misleading title and opening post, but it did work. Look at the POSITIVE comments about Klipsch subs coming out of the woodwork. How much punishment do you dole out to your Klipsch sub only to have it NOT blow up. Lets face it, a sub leads a dreary, droll existance, pounding out the bass in the corner, basic black box nearly unadorned. It's woofer face down to the floor or it's beautiful copper color hidden forever behind a grille cloth.

So on with the GOOD NEWS...

My little ksw12, for which I paid only $250 (b-stock, but perfect condition) has not blown up, thrown a fuse, had the port tube fall out in the two years I've owned it. Not only that, but it keeps up with 4 Cornwalls pretty well. I may get a slightly larger unit this year and 'retire' the 12 to my secondary RB5 theatre where I'm sure It will serve well.

Michael

• 5 years later...

I bought a Promedia Ultra 5.1 set in 2005. I used it a lot for about a year and then put it up for about 3 years. I recently got it back out and hooked it up to my computer. It lasted about 6 months. Now anytime I turn it on, it blows a fuse. I can't see any scorching on any of the components. I am terribly disappointed because the system sounds good when it works, but working appears to be a problem for this system. I doubt that I will ever buy another Klipsch system. They are expensive and high quality, but they are short-lived. If anyone has any ideas about repair, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...