Help Me Build A Mini "Cornwall Crate"

thebes

I seem to have acquired older several amps that will need to take a journey or two for a basic going over. Since one, the Marantz 8B (I know, I know, I've tried to promise myself not to mention this amp more than once a day) is quite expensive, I've been pondering the vagaries of modern shipping.

To see that they arrive and return safe and sound, I've thought of building some sort of double-boxed affair with some internal shock-absorbtion. I plan to leave the internal dimensons large enough to accomodate several sizes of amps/receivers, and then make it available to the Fourm aka the "Corwall Crate"

Here's what I have it mind so far and need suggestions not only as to feasibility but improevments, alternatives etc.:

Since I have no metalworking skills, I'm envisioning two wooden boxes, one external, one internal. The external would be like an old wooden ammo box, maybe with rope handles at each end . The spcae between the two boxes would be taken up with one layer of tennis balls for shock absorbtion. On one side I would probably use two rows of tennis balls to offset the center of gravity since most amps tend to be offcenter due to the transformers. The Inner Box would be a simpe thinner, wooden affair, which could be filled with packing foam etc. offering flexibility to the differnt sizes of amp.

This is as far as I have gotten. I'm not sure what thickness of lumber to use, if there is some sort of new age shock jell I could use, and, of course, I don't want to end up with something so heavy I can't afford the shipping costs. I'm thinking an internal box of say 22" by 14" would accomadate almost any amp and leave sufficent room for foam/peanuts etc.

Again the final product would be made available to the Forum along with pics, building instructions etc.

With the speaker building and drafting skills in this sectin, I tough this would be the perfect palce to seek advice.

Marty, you're welcome to borrow one of my Rubbermaid "Roughneck" rubberized shipping tubs complete with foam blocks, that Jud Barber used to ship my trés dear tube amps. The only condition: it has to come back to me the same way you got it (foam blocks the same, etc.). You'll need to furnish the plastic wrap that Colin mentioned. Give me a holler if interested.

Larry

I don't know, don't know their product line. Mine have been used 3-4 times, have held up very well, and are much tougher and more durable than cardboard. The semi-soft material is resilient and seems very protective of contents packed tightly in foam.

Larry

So yet another "great" idea shot down in flames. Useful info though. Larry, any possibility of a pic. Since I have three amps in need of rebuilding it would probably be better for me to track down the rubbermaid case and cut foam for each shipment. Sorry I'm just responding, pulled some muscles at work on Friday and could barely move yet alone type.

Marty, these are the two pics I have handy.

WebTub InnardsDSCN0578.jpg

WebTubDSCN0579.jpg

The first one shows foam blocks and other stuff surrounding a waiting space, and the second shows a plastic bag full of peanuts, an improvement over loose peanuts! The lids (not visible except on one tub at the North edge of one pic) tie down using the nylon ratchet ties through the holes in the rim.

Getting and shaping your own foam sounds better, but you can still borrow an empty tub, or two or three, if you want. Perhaps someone on the forum can chime in regarding Pelican tubs, which are supposed to be similar.

Larry

Reminds me of a HS physics class experiment. You got a shoebox and one egg. You were allowed to cushion it in any way you wanted. We all went to roof of gymnaseum (probably prohibited in this day and age) and held a 'drop-off'. Those with intact eggs got to keep going until only one survived. I think the grand prize was a wedgie for the guy, who was always the geek with the coke-bottle glasses!

I can just see Thebes on his roof, tossing off Rubbermaid containers, testing his packing theory. Call the men in white jackets!

Michael

The first guy with a joke about 'intact eggs' will be getting a swirlee at the Pilgrimage courtesy of yours truely.

Good point, and I think the metal cases also have foam packing. These lids are rubberized like the sides and bottom and are not really a problem. They have matching tiedown holes and are closely fitted to snap into place. The contents do have to be tightly packed 360 with foam blocks to make a slightly flexible impact-resistent mass.

Larry

About half the time I remember to put the amp in a heavy black plastic bag, then wrap the amp in egg-crate foam that you can buy anywhere. Box that up then put the first box in another heavy CPU box which is lined with rigid foam board. Box one is then wrapped in egg-crate foam and placed inside outer box. The foam is light for cost concerns and cushions the competition throws that UPS employs in their handling. Fed-Ex just seems to enjoy carefully misplacing the entire package.

Keith