DLP users

jacksonbart

I purchased a Samsung HL-P5063W, last July at Best Buy. I really like the picture with DVDs and HD broadcasts, use Comcast. I noticed starting last month that sometimes when I turned on it on it was taking much longer and cycling before coming on, not every time and I remember the last one because it was before the Super bowl. I now I would say I have averaged about 4 hours a week on it. Yesterday it cycled and ended up with all 3 lights blinking on the power button, which I read as lamp failure for the first time. Well after unplugging it and waiting a minute I turned it back on and bingo it up right away. The picture is normal, not loosing brightness at all when its on, its seems that just turning it on has become an issue. Just tried it two seconds ago and bingo it turned on with out an issue. Just wondering if any one has had a similar experience. My luck I will go back to them and it will work perfectly. Any advice?

It sounds like a digital gremlin is in the TV. Re-booting the system solved the problem.

I have a somewhat similar problem with a new DVD/HD recorder by Panasonic that sometimes locks up on power up. Best guess is that the code in the read only memory needs to be debugged.

Today, management sends the product out the door to be beta tested by consumers.

Bill

I have a different brand of DLP projector than Samsung. I've not witnessed the symptoms you describe. But, I have expeirenced bulb faliure after only 432 hours.

Question: When was the last time you cleaned and/or vacuumed your projector's filter screens? The symptoms could possibly be an idication they need cleaning.

It's VERY important to properly maintain your projector's filters in order to promote proper lamp cooling and hopefully extend lamp life. I clean my every 6 months.

This WILL void your warranty, but may solve your problem. Our college uses Boxlight projectors, and have been very reliable. However, we have had a couple that we were going to replace (getting old), but were starting to have similar symptoms as yours.

Open it up and unplug and re-seat all of the connectors you can find. Use some Caig Pro Gold on them as well. Boom! Just like new. Those connectors go through a lot of heat stress. Make sure the filters are clean.

They are a pain to get apart and back together, but considering how expensive they are, it has been worth our time.

Marvel

Yesterday the damn lamp would not turn on at all, the DLP would cycle, but no lamp, Tried 4 times and waited 5 minutes between attempts and no dice. Since its still under warranty I called yesterday to get service arranged, for this Friday. Tried it tonight and bingo its on. Will let you know what they say. Know I am hoping the does not work.

Well it was the lamp. A repairman from Unlimited Appliance out of Reading replaced it under warranty. He asked me if I brought the extended warranty via BB and I did. I know that is a whole other topic. Believe me I usually dont but since the DLP technology is new I took the bait. It was $240.00 to add 3 years to the Samsung warranty, so lamps are included for that time. Of course BB says its 4 years of coverage, but the first year is covered by Samsung. Repair guy thought that was actually a good idea in that the lamps cost $400.00 a pop, not the $200.00 that BB salesman told me when I asked the price as I was buying the set. Picture still looks great.