Need A SACD Player Recommendation

Gilbert

I'll pick-up an Electronic's Gizzmo's magazine this weekend and start some research.

But if anyone's done some already, please let me know what you learned. The player will be hooked up with my vintage mac tube gear. Thanks in advance.

I just bought a new CD player. I thought long and hard about SACD and in the end decided to stay with CD only. I keep hearing that SACD and DVD-A will quite possibly be gone before long. There's various reasons stated for this opinion, not the least of which is the high cost of a SACD disc. Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm good with my decision to stay with the "tried'n true" basic CDP. I bought a REGA Planet and couldn't be happier. It has an almost vinyl sound.

I really like SACD's, although I don't believe they're quite what they're cracked up to be. I think SA-CD.net now lists 2800 titles. New SACD's can be bought in the $15 and under range and there are hundreds for sale on Ebay. Even if they should go away, they'll be available for a long time, and they give a near-vinyl sound (if not better) without having to fool with records. I would look at the Marantz players, new or used, depending on budget, because of the quality of their redbook playback. Head over to Audio Asylum and search the SACD and Digital forums for the units you are interested in. I did, and there is all the info/opinions you could want. I settled on a used Marantz SA-14 for about a 1000 bucks and couldn't be happier. hope this helps. John

Ouch John!, a $1000 bucks. I sure didn't think they'd be so high. But thanks for sharing that forum info. I'll snoop around there and see what's up.

I'll also PM smilin and see what I can dig out of him.

Astalavista boy's!

Oh, Gary, I should have that C22 here within a week. As soon as I get it, I'll be listening to LIVE FM Broadcast. Wow!

Take care, be good. If your bad, give me call and let in on it. See ya!

No offense, but wait until you get a better SACD player. Trust me, there is a difference. I had a Pioneer DV-563A. I thought that it sounded very good until I bought my Sony ES players. The difference in quality was VERY noticeable. I immediately returned the Pioneer. Luckily for me, I was still within the liberal return period.

When I get an SACD player for the K-horns, I'll get something better than the Pioneer.

But, considering the really cheap price for the little Pioneer, it plays SACDs well on my Cornwall/Heresy 5.1 setup (I saw one on a close out sale for $99 the other day). 2-channel may not be as impressive, but I'm not complaining.

I guess I'll be in for a real treat when I get a "good" one 3.gif .

I am using the heavy and slow Sony SCD-1 for SACD two channel play back. I got it when it was first introduced - paid way too much but I am seeing some used ones at less than 1/2 of its original list price offered on Internet.

Although I have tried the more expensive DCS three box setup, I could not tell the difference in SACD performance between the two options. I sold the DCS gear and kept the SCD-1.

Then, I got an inexpensive Samsung DVD-HD841 for my HT setup couple of months ago. It can play two channel and MCH SACD. Other than somewhat lack of bass, I do like the sound of Samsung and would like to recommend it to anyone who might want to try the format without investing too much.

However, at the end of the day, I use the SCD-1 for RedBook CD 99% of the time and remainder for the SACDs...

Ki