RF-7's vs. RB-75's

weekendgeek

Hi All.

I am in the process of renewing my home theater setup. Currently I use KEF 104/2's for front and rear surround, and a Velodyne F-1200R sub.

I've narrowed my choices to: RC-7, RS-7, and either the RF-7's or the RB-75's. I do not have a dealer close that has any of the "7" series to audition, so my question is: Just how different do the RF-7's and the RB-75's sound? Is the difference in efficiency pronounced? The last "real" Klipsch (I have the Promedia 4.1 for my PC) that I spent any time listening to were the Forte's and the Chorus. How do the RF-7 (and RB-75's) compare to those discontinued models?

I had planned to buy the RSW-15 as well, but would consider something from SVS if it would "keep up" with the Klipsch.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

-Eric

I would keep that Velodyne F-1200R that is a hell of a subwoofer. It probably has cleaner and better low end performance than the RSW-15 and most if not all of the SVS subwoofers since neither is servo controlled to minimize distortion and maximize output. Some the SVS models may be capable of more output but certainly not as smooth as the Velodyne is. I would find another F-1200R you can get them for probably $500 or so, plus another $70-$80 to ship. Check eBay and AudioGon, two F-1200R's would be tough to beat.

I use two F-1500R's and would not trade them for anything except bigger Velodyne's but man I have tons of bass already.

The RF-7's will obviously outshine the RB-75's, if you have the room to properly place them they would be my first choice. I would obviously use the matching RC-7 for the center, I would use the RB-75's as rears, forget the nasty sound sprayer RS-7's use RC-7's or RB-75's in the rear instead you won't be sorry.

Sounds like the makings of a very nice setup there, welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Frzninvt!

I hadn't thought about keeping the Velodyne, but that's an excellent idea about adding another. I'm very happy with the quality, but was concerned about the quantity.

Also, thanks for the idea about using the RB's for the rear surround. I'm sure they will sound better than the RS-7's. The money I save by not replacing the Velodyne will go for better surround.

Thanks again for the advice and the "welcome" to the forum. I've been all over the Klipsch site, but did not notice it until yesterday.

I can hardly wait to get this all setup. 9.gif

• 1 month later...

Why do many of you have such disparaging things to say about the "Sound sprayers", aka Surround speakers? Isn't a diffuse sound field what you are looking for in surround speakers to minimize localization effects?

Also, if you have RB-75s for fronts, would an RC-35 work for the Center? I know they are not matched, but Klipsch lists the RB-75 as a match for the RC-35.

My current thinking is that with the number of discrete channels at our disposal, more localization is a good thing. Lets you hear the sound the engineer intended, just like the fronts. Spraying sound around the back was okay in the ProLogic days of just one channel of limited bandwidth 'effects' where it didn't matter where it came from- now it does matter. A Lot.

Michael

----------------

On 3/28/2005 12:29:52 PM greg099 wrote:

Why do many of you have such disparaging things to say about the "Sound sprayers", aka Surround speakers? Isn't a diffuse sound field what you are looking for in surround speakers to minimize localization effects?

Also, if you have RB-75s for fronts, would an RC-35 work for the Center? I know they are not matched, but Klipsch lists the RB-75 as a match for the RC-35.

----------------

Because many of us has been there, done that - using sound sprayers as rears - even very nice ones.

Comes down to your preference. If you use your system primarily for movies, the sound sprayers can do alright. My family room system is used 98% for movies, and I have nice sound sprayers in the rear (Axiom QS-8s). That way, if you want, everyone sitting in the room can hear that odd helicopter whirl bounce off of each wall into infinity.

However, some of us have discovered that using nice Klipsch sound sprayers for discrete multi-channel or matrixed music (RS7s, RS35s) just tend to throw a lot of junk around in the rear. Musically, this is not always a good thing.

On the RC-35 question, while not a perfect match, the RB-75s should sound fairly close to the RC-35. However, with such a setup, you are really missing out on an outstanding center, RC-7, and a perfectly matched front.

Carl.

I ditto ALMOST everything that has been said here, including Welcome to the forum. Colterphoto hit the nail on the head about Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 verses "Dolby surround." Where I disagree is that the RS-7 are "nasty sprayers," in all situations.

Insofar as your surrounds ARE concerned: Given what colterphoto said about discrete sound -- the RB-75's would work well. I use the RF-3 towers as surrounds and raise them 10 inches off the ground (so the tweeters are at ear level along with the RF-7's) and like them better than the RB-75's. I may be alone in this opinion and realize that space may be an issue, but a better bang for the buck IMO, if you can swing it.

{Edit: My bad--evidently RF-3's are discontinued--Find a pair used or swing a deal on the RF-5's would be my next choice}10.gif

I think it would be a great idea to keep the Velodyne sub, and adding another would be awesome. But the idea that "most if not all" SVS subs are outperformed by the Velodyne is an extremely bold statement. I'd bet that you would be extremely impressed and pleased with a SVS sub. They are definitely worth a look. Since SVS is an internet-direct company, they are generally considered, by many, to be a better value than most other subs made. As for the rear surrounds, I have RB 5II's performing this role and am very pleased.