grills for Cornwall

jwc

Gary, if i recall chis kings corns are standard CDBR in cherry stain with the plywood edges exposed. you can check it out if you type in ( Decorator Corwall ) not Cornwall but Corwall, it was misspelled. i have 2 sets of Heresy decorators and one set of cornwall decorators in BR. your heresys and gregs work is stunning!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Russ, but will glue hold it on the backside of grille, or will it bulge out around the front edge. I don't know how we are to get it oriented straight, pull it so it's tight, then get it tacked down and flat. LOTS OF CLAMPS from what I've seen, but think this will be the trickiest part.

Take pixs as you go. I think the cane grilles are very handsome and more decor-oriented on the huge Cornwall faces. Perhaps other members would try this if it weren't so daunting a task.

btw, isnt' the Corn the largest single piece of grille fabric used anywhere, anytime on a Klipsch product?

Michael

Bump

Ok, I've got my 84' CW1's now. I plan on making a new grill. There is candle wax on one of these.

I want a complete new frame.

From the above posts, I hear of a fabric from Duracrest for the grill cloth and I hear of 1/8 masonite for the frame.

WHERE DO I GET THESE?

Parts express has this for cloth....Is this Duracrest?...Is it anygood?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=261-800

The construction should be simple. Looks like Klipsch loved the staples in the early 80's. The frame is stapled in the joints and velcro pieces are stapled to the frame. I think the staples were to hold the cloth and the frame as well. I'm sure there is some glue in there. There is also staples on the motor board holding velco down.

jc

Do a search for Duracrest fabric #17, I believe that jorjen and frzinvt both ordered from them. Duracrest is the name of the company, and they buy there fabric from wendell fabrics. Ralph is the name of the person to contact, I will dig up the phone number.

The phone number for duracrest is (708) 344-4900, ask for Ralph, tell him that it is for a klipschorn, and you should be set.

This is the a thread that deals with the black fabric, but not cane http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=61175.

Wendell does make a synthetic cane. (http://www.wendellfabrics.com/cane2.html)

Well, you guys will be mad at me. I got impatient afetr I asked about the Duracrest. I instead ordered the black "vintage" fabric from parts express.

This weekend I made my grill frames with 3/16th Masonite. I painted them black yesterday. They look very good. I think as good as factory. I also made a template...so in the future...I won't need to measure. Just mark, cut and paint.

The 1/8 inch masonite..I thought was too flemsy.

I will post a boat load of pics once I get the project completed. Shouldn't be long.

I must say, my template has different measurements than the ones chronicled in the thread "let's make a cornwall drawing". I have put my grill frames in the speaker, they are a perfect fit.

jc

Please post your dimensions on that thread if you don't mind. What genre and year are your Corns? Looks like they changed things from week to week (LOL) so hopefully it'll be handy to have em all on file.

Are you using 3m77 spray glue on front and back edges to adhere the black cloth? I saw a photo where a guy used a dozen clamps to secure while glue dries.

Michael

Yes, I will post my dimensions there. Gonna do the posting of the whole project once it is done.

Yes, I got the 3M 77 glue spray from Parts Express.

My Corns are unfinished birch with brown grills. One of the Grills has candlewax on it. The other in great shape.

1984 I think. B-3 crossover, K-77, K-57-k (I know this suks), and K-55-E.

jc

The K-57 is hard to replace. Bob states he has never changed out a diaphragm on one either. I'm just bummed because I hate to spend a lot of money on a new crossover and later not be able to replace a bad K-57. My B-3 or a new B-3 won't work with a K-55 from what I understand. The K-55 is "more available" and Bob can replace diaphragms.

jc

I am about to show a series of pictures and some measurements. Please don't criticize me for the size of the pics. I still have to put on the grill fabric. I will do that portion later this week.

jc

Here is a piece of cardboard cut to the approprate Heigth and width. The markings are made for openings. The masonite I purchased is underneath. It was less than $10. There is enough there to make 2 pairs.

01290001.jpg

post-16499-13819261860974_thumb.jpg

I whipped out the Rotozip and made the openings. I then spray painted one layer on one side with flat black. They dried overnight and I brought back into the house. They fit perfectly in the cornwall leaving about ~1/16 inch around edges. Now I just need my grill fabric to come in.

01310001.jpg

post-16499-13819261867264_thumb.jpg