capacitor values and preferences

awsjr

Heresy II capacitors values are 68uF and (3) 1.5uF....there seems to be a flucuation of values such as auricaps are 10%....relcap the same....hovlands 5%....is the any negative affect cascade bypassing to say 66uF and 1.6uf instead of the original values ?....thanks -Al

Exact values are not critical but I like to get within 5% to be closer to the original crossover design. More importantthan absolute capacitor value is low leakage and low 'resistance' values. Use high quality metalized polypropolyne caps in your replacements. These are available as you have said in the audio lines, or you can get them for much less money by going to an electronics supply house like Allied Electronics and browsing through their catalogs for high quality metalized poly caps typically used in high accuracy timing or integrating circuits. I have used ASC (I think) and Illinoise Capacitor company. The ICs are lots cheaper, I did a pair of khorns for a total of $29.00 and they sound much better than the original motor run caps. I re-capped my set of Belles with the slightly more expensive ASC caps, total of $50.00 for both speakers, and they sound much better than original as well. The ICs were only rated at 10% where as the ASCs were 5%.

Good luck. This is a fun and rewarding project.1.gif

I have a pair of HereseyII's that were built in '97 and a few months ago Dean over at the 2 Channel forum was talking about upgradeing K-horn caps in the crossover and said he got improved sound from the upgrade, I think at the time I asked about my Heresey II's crossover but never got any kind of ansewer from anyone about the crossovers in my speakers, in fact I don't even know where they are located at in the speakers and what they look like. I was also wondering if you can upgrade them with something like orange drops or auricaps and really improve the sound coming from the speakers, if I could do this for $30 to $50 in caps I sure would if I could upgrade my sound, but at time I really would like to hear some input from someone that has done this.1.gif1.gif

The 68uF value is in parallel with the woofer. "Cascade" bypassing would be a waste of money. I have reservations regarding the concept anyways. I would just replace it with a single 68uF Solen from Partsexpress, part number 027-608

As far as tolerances go, all of those 10% caps actually come in around 5% or less. Every once in a great while I run across one that's way off. You should have a capacitance meter on hand so you can measure them first before you use them. The 1.5uF Kimbers I've been using have consistantly been 1.55uF or less. 027-852

There might be a resistor in there, I can't remember right off hand. If so, replace it with a Mills non-inductive type.