Khorns as mains in HT

Elydaman

My dedicated listening room also doubles as a killer Home Theater. My entire speaker setup is Klipsch....Khorns rt and lf, C7 center S7? surrounds and a KSW 15 sub.

The Khorns are just fantastic as two channel, and also rock for movies...100" image digital projector.

But here you go for the topic......While I love 2 channel music, a 5.1 DTS mix using all these Klipsch speakers is without question pure joy. I can demo a track on 2 channel and people think wow! But if I switch to 5.1, they can't believe their ears.

Am I doing the Khorns justice pairing them with non Heritage speakers?

Good choice with the Klipschorns as mains. I run a similar septup myself, 100inch screen with a Panasonic PT-AE700 projector. I have tried the Klipschorns with other speakers as surrounds, but at this point in time I run the Klipschorns in home theatre as 2 channel only. If you prefer the 5.1 channel sound, I wouldn't worry too much if they're not perfectly matched in timbre. While all Heritage is ideal, you'll still get a satisfactory surround effect using other loudspeakers.

I too have a similar setup. I use a Belle as a center which makes a big difference. I don't think that C7 can keep up with the K-horns though. That's probably the first thing I would change if I were you, and since you have a projector screen, a large center like a Belle is easy to integrate.

Take it from a former mixed set up user. Matching timbre in an HT makes a huge difference. While a mixed set up does not sound bad you will eventually find matching to either an all Heritage (my recommendation) or and all Reference will make you happier. Nothing you have is a bad speaker set up. K-Horns are the speakers the Good Lord himself would choose IMO. Many Reference owners feel the same about their 7s. But ask anyone who has done the mixed dance, timbre matching makes a difference. Now having said all this I do not postulate you will not enjoy your current set up but to take it to the next level match your speaker line for a true audio nirvana. Enjoy it will be a fun ride.

Since you use a projector get a perforated screen and put a Klipschorn behind it. You can build a false corner for it. If you can't do that use a LaScala. The remaining speaker can be used for your rear center. After doing that, work on upgrading your surrounds, then you might say wow. Don't concern yourself with what your friends think, it what you think and feel that's important.

Those other speakers are not doing the Khorn's justice when in 5.1 mode. If you think it sounds good now wait until you put a La Scala center and a pair of Belle's, La Scala's or Cornwalls in the back your jaw will drop.

I run a Heritage 7.2 system with Khorns front and rear and it is stunning. It was QMan's inspiration that got me started on this quest. 9.gif

----------------

On 2/19/2005 5:14:05 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Those other speakers are not doing the Khorn's justice when in 5.1 mode. If you think it sounds good now wait until you put a La Scala center and a pair of Belle's, La Scala's or Cornwalls in the back your jaw will drop.

----------------

Chas, I've got a pair of K-horns, a Belle, and four vertical Cornwalls (one pair was yours, thank you!). My ideal system was a 7.1 with these components.

Recently, I've read on this forum that anything past Heresies for surrounds was basically a waste of money, and positioning was difficult.

I am still committed to my original concept but would be interested in how you set the surrounds (up high on risers, on the floor, etc.).

My biggest issue, frankly, is coming up with a room that can accommodate both 2-channel and 7.1 listening. It isn't easy when one considers the geometry and the ideal ratios.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on the proper mounting of the surrounds.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

I use some homemade horns for the front corners, no center channel, and just some speakerlab 4.5inch midrange (actually fullrange audix speaker) for the back channels. Just setup the mains for big speakers, no center channel,no subwoofer, and rear speakers for small speakers in the menu. Running through a Yamaha reciever using a Panasonic F87 changer that has builtin digital surround and dolby surround modes (dolby surround much better than Yamaha dolby surround). I can't imagine setting the volume so high that the small 4.5 inch speakers can't keep up! With the movies I watch, there isn't too much surround anyway. BTW: Seabisquit sounds scary when you turn the volume up and listen to the horses on the track. I know that my horns have a peak in the sound around the 125hz range and that's where the sound effects are and it's scary! I could use a subwoofer for the ultra lows but with some low bass boost from an eq. it's acceptable.

My NAD T163 sends a 20hz-20khz signal to all 7 speakers so how could anything larger than a Heresy be wasteful. What genuis told you that?

I had the '62 verts inverted on top of the Khorn's in rear for a short time until my wife complained that it looked horrid with speakers damn near to the ceiling. I now have them kind of offset and toed in, and in front of the Khorns which works well, I can certainly tell that they are there.

My rears started out as Heresy II's and a/d/s L300E's, then progressed from there to La Scala's & Heresy II's, then Cornwalls & Heresy II's, then Cornwalls & Cornwalls, and now to its current Khorns & Cornwalls. Each upgrade was a notable improvement for the better. You have the makings of a stellar array with Khorn mains, a Belle center, and four verts for rears and rear effects trust me they aren't going to go to waste.

I listen to all analog sources in Matrix 7.2 with the exception of 5.1 encoded DVD's but my NAD allows me to upsample to DD EX so the Cornwalls are always being used. The .2 are my two Velodyne 15's, the NAD has two dedicated subwoofer outputs.

Whoever said anything larger than a Heresy in the rear is a waste does not know what they are talking about.

I would rather have a two-channel Khorn HT than the same oney into a 5 channel anything else - the Khorns are awesome!

BTW, PWK designed a 10.1 HT for one of God's 13 million palaces (one for each intelligent species in this universe) and he used Khorns, with one SVS B4 sub each, throughout!!!

3.gif