DTS

vandec54

----------------

On 2/18/2005 10:54:33 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The only sonic advantage to DTS is that it is usually mixed much hotter than Dolby Digital.

Bill

----------------

...That's just one person's opinion. Dts also uses less compression than Dolby Digital. Ask most people and they will tell you dts sounds better. Also I have quite a few non-superbit DVDs that have dts on them, and I'd have to say that there are more non-superbit titles with dts than superbit titles. I don't know where some people get their information.

kind of related to this thread... what is "down mixing" ? I have the option of this either on or off on my reciever but after even reading the manual, I'm still scratching my head. I just need to know what should it be on or off? I just don't wan't to be losing anything.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 8:42:36 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2005 10:54:33 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The only sonic advantage to DTS is that it is usually mixed much hotter than Dolby Digital.

Bill

----------------

...That's just one person's opinion. Dts also uses less compression than Dolby Digital. Ask most people and they will tell you dts sounds better. Also I have quite a few non-superbit DVDs that have dts on them, and I'd have to say that there are more non-superbit titles with dts than superbit titles. I don't know where some people get their information.

----------------

people get their information from extensive reading on the subject on audio forums as well as technical disertations on the subject.....

and although DTS does use a different compression ratio, Dolby Digital is totally capable of reproducing the dynamic range and frequency range required by movie soundtracks.....

and Bill is correct DTS tracks are usually recorded at a hotter level so they will sound louder compared to the Dolby Digital tracks..... if you adjust the volume control to compensate for the loudness differences, most people cannot tell the difference between the tracks on a typical movie....

on some concert DVD's and music intensive movies, the differences might be more obvious - but that is a result of different decisions made by the DTS recording engineer compared to his Dolby Digital counterpart.... NOT the technology...

some more reading for you.....

the following article goes into much greater technical detail - but the following summation says it well:

http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_1a.asp

"When comparing DTS with 448kbps Dolby Digital (and even, to a lesser degree, 384kbps Dolby Digital) any difference noticeable can more likely be attributed to differences in mastering or production than coding schemes. Under identical mastering conditions the two systems should be nearly indistinguishable from one another.

Any attempt to compare the domestic versions of Dolby Digital and DTS with one another is extremely difficult due to one major technical difference. The domestic version of Dolby Digital incorporates a feature, called 'dialog normalization', designed to maintain a consistent centre-channel volume from all Dolby Digital sources. The dialog normalization system is designed to ensure that the average centre-channel volume is always between -25 and -31dBFS (decibels below digital full-scale), regardless of source. As a result, if dialogue is recorded at a higher volume, the Dolby Digital decoder automatically attenuates the volume of all channels to the level at which the centre-channel outputs dialogue at the set 'dialnorm' level (usually -31dBFS for Dolby Digital on DVD). Most movies' centre-channels are recorded at -27dBFS, which results in an overall lowering of 4dB in all channels. Movies can be recorded at anything from -23dBFS (e.g. 'Wild Things') to -31dBFS (e.g. 'Air Force One', non-SuperBit and 'Twister: SE'), resulting in nominal overall volume attenuation of up to 8dB ('Wild Things') or more. All channels maintain their correct relative balance, so no detrimental sonic effects can be attributed to the dialnorm process. But, because the result can be up to an 8dB reduction in volume, there is no easy way to compare DTS and Dolby Digital versions of a film's soundtrack. The overall volume of the DTS version may be 8dB or more higher than the Dolby Digital soundtrack, making direct comparisons nearly impossible. As dialnorm is constantly variable in 1dB increments, the exact difference in overall volume between Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks often varies from film to film.

Any argument for or against a particular system must be based on competing coding schemas. DTS's supporters claim that it is superior to Dolby's system because it uses a higher bitrate and less aggressive compression scheme. These two facts are essentially irrelevant in determining whether DTS is 'better' than Dolby Digital: neither automatically equates to higher sound quality. The quality of both systems stands or falls on the effectiveness of their respective compression and perceptual coding systems. Both systems use extremely effective coding systems. As both systems are based on completely different technologies, and rely on human perception, there is no technical or scientific means to determine which is 'better'. An apt analogy is that of the Porsche and the Corvette: the Corvette has a powerful V8, while the Porsche has a smaller engine but is turbo-charged. Both cars use very different power sources, yet both are extremely effective at performing their desired functions. Undoubtedly there will be those who argue for one system over another, but any such argument must be based on individual preference rather than scientific theory. There are no technically valid grounds for believing either audio system is inherently better sounding than the other."

1.gif

minn_male42

Damn good post. While there may be no scientific advantages to either, I still prefer DTS. It just seems suprior in my opinion. Or, after reading this article and McGoo's post then perhaps it's the engineers who work on the DTS track are mixing them better, or in such a way that they sound better in my opinion. DTS track seem cleaner, not as muffled in my opinion.

Not saying it's true, but.. When I was reading what you posted, I couldn't help but wonder if it was a Dolby Digital employee writing that to help take some bite out of DTS. 4.gif

There is also something else to consider... human error. Sometimes, someone just screwed up!

I found this one the hard way when I bought "Pirates of the Caribbean". When I played it, I went straight to the DTS soundtrack, since it "should" always be better. I was very disappointed, especially during the battle between the two ships. The cannon shots were flat, almost like a sling-shot! Later I tried the DD 5.1, & now the cannons shook the room as they passed by my head.

When I posted about it, I got a 50-50 response back. Some agreed with me, some said the DTS was better. Then reviews were looked up. Same thing... 50-50. Further research showed there were two separate pressings of the movie from different plants.

So now, I play the movie in both versions & pick the one I like better, & then mark the case for future reference.

Movie makers have wondered which codec is superior, since they want the best sound. A very high budget movie was run with sound lelvels matched and the director could not tell the diference.

I usually prefer DTS due to the hotter mix. My system easily handles the hotter mix, so why not enjoy the "better" sound. However, on Pirates of the Carribean I prefer the Dolby Digital sound track.

Bill

it seems to be hit or miss. I have some that sound better one way and some the other. I wish every movie had both so we can chose.

The best example of DTS being better IMO is with the video disk on Sessions for Robert J by Eric Clapton. I listened to it all the way comparing both and the DTS clearly has a more lively sound with what seems to be much better seperation. Bourne Identity is another I can think of that is better to me in DTS. I have read that article before or one like it, and while maybe true I think how the sound reaches our ears is dependant on a lot of variables such as the equipment and room accousitcs, then factor in our own preferances and perceptions it all becomes pretty complicated.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:16:16 PM cyclonecj wrote:

...So now, I play the movie in both versions & pick the one I like better, & then mark the case for future reference.

----------------

And have you found any others besides Pirates of the Carribean, where the Dolby sounds better than the dts?