Fry's coming to Indy-Good or Bad thing?

Bill H.

They're fantastic. I've frequented the one here in Burbank, CA several times. They're HUGE, the prices are competitive, they have everything from high-model HK receivers to Apple computers, from every brand of computer RAM imaginable to a full selection of SACD and DVD-A. It's a great store, and if your store is anything like mine, it'll have a huge alien spaceship crashing into it's front entrance.

Oh, and beware of the impulse-buy items on your way to the cashier. The power of suggestion at it's best!!!

Guest Anonymous

well a fry's opened up by me late last year, and after being open for a few months and its still a really clean store, and every time that i have went there i have had really good customer service, now most people say its horrible but i must have really good luck or something

We have one in our area. It used to be called Indredible Universe but Fry's bought it out. They do have just about everything you could want electronically speaking. A while ago I was trying to find their website, they didn't seem to have one but what I did find was a bunch of complaints on the internet about their return policies, boxes missing items and poor customer service. I personally have never had any negative issues happen.

Thanks to all of you for your knowledgeable answers!..........It's nice to know

that they are a good store.

m00n, I too couldn't find a dedicated web site for them. They sell stuff online through outpost.com......... Again thanks!

Speed, Colter- they are going in up North where the Old Auto Nation dealership was!

ours is DFW is about the same as all the others above have said. I've found Fry's to be most useful for software purchases. They usually have all current titles of cd's and dvd's, and also carry sacd, dvd-a, and some tough to find titles. You can also find imports within the cd bins that are pretty cool.

If you go into Fry's take a look at the length of the lines of people waiting to pay versus the lines of people returning things. If you return something it gets shrink wrapped again and put back on the shelf until someone who won't return it buys it.

I saved about $400 on a $900 computer monitor last year by buying it online from someone else.

You may have a different opinion when you go, and that's fine. Just keep your eyes open.

I have never had a problem with Fry's. We have two that I go to, one about 5 minutes from where I work and one about 5 minutes form where I live. Their prices are average/competitive. One thing I have noticed is either people love them or hate them. Apparently Alan loves em.2.gif I have never had a bad experience.

A parable from history.

When I moved to Chicago in 1975 to go to school there were no franchise restaurants in the Loop. Hiz Honor Richard J. Daley thought they'd force the mom and pop restaurants out of business, I was told. The mom and pop shops ranged from very good to just a guy with a griddle and a fryer in a storefront, and everything in between. The in between were the most interesting and cost effective for consumers.

Hiz Honor passed away. Sure enough. A lot of mom and pop shops shut down and we have Mickey D on every other corner.

There were also many hardware stores around the downtown and traditional residential neighborhood. Ace or True Value.

Some were geared to the construction trades, some included furnature for yuppies, and some had collections of odd fittings used in buildings which were new in 1920 - but such buildings were in need of such parts, having aged. It was as if Ralph Cramdom needed a NOS washer for the faucet. It is to be found in the dusty collection and Ed Norton can find it for him.

Recently an HD went into business in a gentrifying area on North Ave. Then another on North Halsted Good prices if you want something they have. Funny. The little hardware shops closed up and you've go no source except for HD. If you need something they don't have, you're out of luck.

We also have a new BB on Broadway. But the Sony store on Michigan Ave. shut down.

It looks to me that Fry's or BB or the big box stores rely on the bromide that 20% of the goods result in 80% of the sales. The killer is when you want something from the other 80%. Also, these stores are offering electronics which are just at the end of the product cycle. Not distressed goods but not a fair representation of what a manufacurer is offering either.

The point is that the market in Indy is going to change. It is good for most consumers. Certainly the Internet is going to be the source for specialty items.

Gil

Reading your post Gil made me chuckle....

Some years ago I went looking for some galvanized chain for my anchor rode. Went to HD, went to Lowes, went to Scotty's, went to...well, you name it. I hit every major hardware place in Savannah and was dumbfounded that in a city on the Atlantic Ocean, no one had galvanized chain. They had all manners of chain, but not galvanized. Frustrated, I headed home and on my way I see a sign for Ace Hardware. I think, "Awwww what the hell. I'll stop. Doubt they have anything, but what have I got to lose?" I go inside and a polite teenager asks if I need help. I say yes and that I'm looking for some galvanized chain. His response?

"Why yessir. What size and length do you need?"

"Ace is the place...."

Tom