I wonder if.....

ARPRINCE

Obviously you have never sat in a van with 4 Heresy's powered by all Zapco amplifiers and processors headed up by a Nakamichi deck playing "The Wall" by Pink Floyd all I can say is WOW!

Too much cheap stuff in the Car Audio world right now, all the major players of old have folded up and been bought out by other companies peddling absolute garbage it seems these days. Any moron can put bass in a car, the trick is to have a balanced SQ system which most teenagers could care less about. All they want is the obnoxious 60Hz boom.

I'd love a shallow, 6 1/4" coaxial horn (a-la-Jensen / Tannoy) for my car...

Some would consider such a K speaker heretical, I say build it. ;o)

Didn't Panasonic use to make something like that? I dimly recall a coax 'horn' 6x9 back in the stone age..

Problem is, you'd never be able to make a midrange horn for a car. The one in my Fortes is small, it's a 700hz horn, and it's like a foot and change long.. the only horn-loaded part would be the tweeter.

But it'd still sound sweeter than the Infinity garbage I got screwed into my car doors. 3.gif

Tiger the old Cerwin Vega CS-18A had a horn tweeter with a reset button integrated into the metal grill. The things had huge 8lb magnets and cast aluminum frames, the surrounds were woven fiber that was coated so they never wear out. I have a pair in the back of my old '89 Mercury Grand Marquis, they still belt it out and boy do they have some tight midbass! Cerwin Vega makes nothing like them anymore, not even close.

Horns for cars have been around for over 10 years, Image Dynamics was an innovator in the field and they were molded in such a way that they mounted under your dash and the horn throat and driver fit up under the dashboard. The result - killer efficiency and a soundstage that would be tough to be beat. I heard a pair and believe me they are the real deal and could give really nice home systems a run for their money.

• Moderators

A couple of engineers came to us from an audio company that made car speakers for BMW. There's a lot involved, and we just don't have the resources for it at this time. Lots of travel---kind of hard to have prototypes and beta units shipped in to the facility to test. 1.gif

But ya never know.

----------------

On 2/23/2005 11:13:04 AM Amy Unger wrote:

A couple of engineers came to us from an audio company that made car speakers for BMW. There's a lot involved, and we just don't have the resources for it at this time. Lots of travel---kind of hard to have prototypes and beta units shipped in to the facility to test.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif">

But ya never know.

----------------

Hey now you're talkin'!!!! 1.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/23/2005 11:28:40 AM dodger wrote:

I thought Pioneer made a 6 x 9 co - ax and a tri - ax.

----------------

i am pretty sure they did/still do