Best Rock Speakers??

rankhank

I think it all depends on your taste in Rock music-

If you are into "classic" rock any of the Klipsch lineup would suit you just fine.

Now if you are into the newer "techno" Hard rock/Metal such as Tool/Godsdmack/P.O.D./Pantera/etc. I actually would prefer a non-horn loaded bass speaker from Klipsch.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my K-horns for anything but there are times when I do miss my Cornwalls "punch" in the 50hz region that hits you in the chest that the Klipschorn just does not provide.

The Klipschorns have bass (evident by my pictures falling off the wall) but you do not feel it like bass reflex designed speaker, it is a much tighter, crisper bass-very different from the Corns. Those with Klipschorns & Cornwalls probably know exactly what I am talking about.

When I first purchased my Klipschorns I kept my Cornwalls for about two months and had the luxury with my Yamaha amplifier to "A-B" them against each other-which I did quite often. I ended up with the Klipschorns due to their sweet midrange-which the Cornwalls just could not hold a candle to, but actually preferred the bass of the Cornwalls over the Klipschorns.

It might be a higher order of distortion but it just sounded "right" to me with my heavy taste in music.

I have two friends with Klipsch speaker-one with KLF-20s, the other with Forte IIs and the both sound great with Hard Rock.

Actually, from what I have read the KLF 20s are actually a better speaker than the KLF-30...just more of a cohesiveness to them.

If I had the room & the $$ I would have a set of Cornwall or KLF series when I wanted to Rock-out and have the Klipschorns for everything else.

Jeff

While I was getting into 5.1 surround, I had a set of lascalas for fronts. I started with a small set of klipsch as surrounds. Don't rember what they were. I used the trade in program and worked my way up. I went through about every klipsch tradeing them in for the next more expensive model. I now have Khorns and 3 lascalas. 2 things I remember. The 30's are one. I had them to the sides of the couch and the lascalas in the front. I would often run them in 4 ch stereo and blast away. When turning the 30's off, there was a loss of bass. When turning off the lascalas it sount like throwing a blanket over the 30's. The 30's are great with good bass, but when directly compared with lascalas they can't keep up. The other thing I noticed is the heritage speakers sound similar, they just get louder the bigger you go.

I do not mind Peeing off the heritage guys. The KLF 30s are by far the best in my opinion. They will easily, and I mean easily fill the room size you are talking about with major live "in your room" sound. Plus you don't have to worry about having wimpy bass. They are easy to buy, easy to place and easy to set up. No real messing around, just two awesome speakers ready to rock.

PS - I guess I'm biased for the KLF Series speakers as being the best speakers Klipsch has made....... If we could only buy them new now, under a lmited build program or something.....:)

Only thing that concerns me is the poly plastic that the KLF-30 uses.

I had a past non-klipsch poly plastic and around 12 years the

bass cones plastic became brittle and split. I've read they do a

better mix of plastics to slove this but you won't know for sure until

the years past. I don't know if Klipsch ever had this problem with

their poly plastics. I still prefer the paper or metal over any

poly plastics. I like that the new Klipsch RF line uses metal for both

the cone and horn so you don't have to worry about the plastic brittle

over time.

I now have the luxury of testing, demoing most of the speakers that others have mentioned as their choice of the "Best Rock & Roll Speakers".

In my case I have a pair of K-Horns, 3 Cornwalls, and a pair of KLF-30's, with KLF C-7 center.

IMHO, the Klf-30's are by far my speaker of choice for R & R.

But, I'll be the first one to admit, that my listening room isn't even close to being ideal for the K-Horns and Cornwalls. The room is 14 X 23 and the room layout doesn't permit me to place the K-Horns or the Cornwalls on a long wall.

They all sound excellent for R & R, but as someone else has mentioned, you can plop the KLF 30's just about anywhere and you are going to be in the so called proverbial R & R heaven.

As for other music genre's, the jury is still out, except for my Bagpipe music collection. The K-horns by far are the best and they sound so good, that I almost wanted to don a kilt, call MyHamish, and go Braveheart on something.

1.gif1.gif

JJ

I recommend the La scala. It can deliver the same stunning effects you hear at a live show. Let's face it, if you listen to R&R, you want that blistering sound pressure and clean delivery. La scala still does it for me...even after 25 years. If you desire to hear some of the unnatural base-lines offered by newer tracks....add a sub.