Academy Clear Oak Refinishing Question

I have an Academy in clear oak that is perfect as far as no dings or dents, but there are some minor surface scratches and the urethane is getting thin around the edges. In my old house, I had a cabinet next to the shower that had the same problem. I lightly sanded it and put on a fresh coat of urethane and it looked like new.

Can I lightly sand my Academy and do the same? I guess my real question is are the clear oak Academys finished in urethane?

I am refinishing to sell the speaker and I want it perfect and want to refinish as it was when it was new.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, i am sanding my 74 corns in walnut oil with a dewalt orbital sander and it works perfectly for removing scratches and water rings. just did the same thing to my 72 corns in mahogany before i BLO them. used 120 and 180 grit paper. veneer is thin so be careful.

----------------

On 2/22/2005 12:03:09 PM Budman54 wrote:

Chris, i am sanding my 74 corns in walnut oil with a dewalt orbital sander and it works perfectly for removing scratches and water rings. just did the same thing to my 72 corns in mahogany before i BLO them. used 120 and 180 grit paper. veneer is thin so be careful.

----------------

Mine barely need any sanding. I will sand with 400 or higher grit. I am just wondering if the factory finish is a urethane or not. It looks like urethane.

Chris

It probably is a urethene tiger, but even though that speaker is only about 15 years old it might have yellowed some so if you just touch it up it may look different from the rest of the cabinet. I recall doing something similar on my Oak Clear Belle's, it came out decent but was noticeable at certain viewing angles. I used like 320 and 400 grit and slowly worked the spot by hand.