Cornwall's finally! 22 Hour road trip to "The Big Easy"

BS Button

Do so, but you will not find Klipsch in the store anymore.

The old professor got upset when they went mainstream. Tried

to talk him into the Heritage line only, but he would have no part

of it. Klipsch really needs to keep the line as I will turn on

countless others to it's incredible sound.

Legion of Croom member,

Where'd you go to HS?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bsbutton,

It's hard to say what the yellow stuff is without seeing it. How extensive is it? Is it just in a couple of places, or everywhere? Can you post a picture?

If it's some small areas, you may just do a little test area in an inconspicous area to see if the stain/turpentine/blo mixture will remove it as it rehydrates the tired veneer.

The label on the back of your speakers should reveal the finish, i.e. CWO = Cornwall, Walnut, Oil finish (CWL = Cornwall, Walnut, Lacquer).

If your cabinets are lacquer and you want them to be oil. The cabinets will have to be stripped and VERY carefully sanded. The stain/turpentine/blo mixture will give a factory finish, but oil finishes require very good surface prep to look good. My trick is to revitalize the dry, previously oiled veneers, i.e. a faded Cornwall CWO. Works terrifically in that application.

For dealing with lacquer (if they are lacquer), start another post about effectively dealing with it. Lacquer I've stripped has always been kind of a pain. The inadequately stripped parts will fail to absorb the new stain mixture and cause streaking. If they are lacquer and looking bad, I might let a cabinet shop give me an estimate for stripping and new lacquer. I've worked with lacquer before (restoring antique radios)and, to me, it is not that fun.

Best regards,

Andy

Hey Woodog, saw from your posts that you've got some Cornwalls as well. Any chance of coming down the the 'Green' and hearing some Corns with tube power? That's a beautiful part of the country you live in and the ladies' accents.. well....

Are you guys coming to the Pilgrimage??

Michael from INdy

----------------

On 2/24/2005 11:02:04 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Hey Woodog, saw from your posts that you've got some Cornwalls as well. Any chance of coming down the the 'Green' and hearing some Corns with tube power? That's a beautiful part of the country you live in and the ladies' accents.. well....

Are you guys coming to the Pilgrimage??

Michael from INdy

----------------

Funny how a fine set of legs can make a lack of dipthongs sound really sexy, ain't it? 3.gif

The Corns at the church are powered by SS, since I run a mixing board into the SS receiver (an Onkyo tx-4500 MkIII, I think).

I would be glad to take my Scott down there and hook it up to listen to, however. Could be revealing!

The one thing about that room that doesn't lend itself well to stereo listening is the reverberation. It is a 'wet' environment and I'm happy with it that way since congregational singing and my choir sound really good in there. 2 channel listening, not so much, especially at higher volumes.

I wish I had tried my Cornwalls on the long wall in my home (tiny abode that it is)... because the Khorns really opened up that way.

The Cornwalls with tubes in my house were superb, but nothing like the Khorns on the long wall.

My life is incredibly full, but I'd be glad to find some time for a fellow Klipscher! Come on down!

Forrest

Hey, there are other Klipsch guys on the Gulf Coast. Woo-hoo! I have PM'd bsbutton that we have a LOT of geography in common, but germane right now is that I am a former New Orleanian and return frequently. I live in the Florida panhandle (AKA Lower Alabama). When in N.O. you can find me in the Marigny, or being a history/culture vulture at La Petite, NOMA, etc. I'm writing a history of the Quarter in the 20th century and I spend a lot of time at the City Archives at NOPL. Inside refs for my NOLA pals:

"Where ya at?"

"I bet I know where you got dem Cornwalls!"

dipthongs.... I was fully expecting a fini photoshop on this one by now

ahem.. however, a dipthong is where a vowel such as 'i' , actually has to vowel sounds used to make the proper pronunciation.... i.e.

ahhhhhhhh-eeeeeeeeeeeee....

a really good example is the word 'toy'. t + Oh + ee

the word 'night'... if pronounced in standard english..

is phonetically nah-eet

here in the south... where we *can* turn 'yes' into a four syllable word, words like night become 'naht'.

the definition of tar?

Dem thangs on yore core.

etc.

Forrest (suffern frum ack-scent rat naw)

ah thak yew fer the concise explanation.

Kind of like when Richard Petty says,

"Its them other fellers on the road whut skeeeers me"

ok, not as good as your definition, but it's the drawl.

We have a bit of that in Southern Indiana, but here it just sounds like slack jawed laziness, nothing endearing about it at all. Myself, I prefer to enunciate clearly, but that little 'twang' that the girls from Kentucky and Tennessee(emphasis on first syllabel) and Georgia have just, well DOES IT for me. I could listen to em all day. Like their voices are just coated with honey. Add too that a little peaches and cream complexion and I'm sold!

Michael

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:11:41 PM boom3 wrote:

The new definition of "dipthong" is a string-like bathing suit worn by someone who has NO business wearing it!

----------------

Ya had to figure this would happen. Wonder what the "thong song" sounds like on a pair of K-Horns. You think they're a good rap speaker?

BS button

Boom3 -

How long ago did you move? Many things have changed in recent years,

like Benny Grunch & the Bunch sing, it "Ain't Dere no More".

Schwegmann's is belly up . . .

No more K&B . . .

No more Krauss . . .

No more Rivergate . . .

No more Holmes . . .

No more Edwin . . .

Fair Grounds bought out by Churchill Downs . . .

But, we still have the Neutral Grounds . . .

And Streetcars back on Canal . . .

Click for Ain't Dere no More

Click for all Benny Grunch Videos

----------------

On 2/25/2005 8:22:11 PM WS65711 wrote:

Boom3 -

How long ago did you move? Many things have changed in recent years,

like Benny Grunch & the Bunch sing, it "Ain't Dere no More".

(snip)

----------------

Yeah, you right. I return to NO very frequently, just there for Carnival, of course. We march with St. Anne every year.

I lived in the Vieux Carre in 85 and 86, however, I have been running the streets since 1982.